For our last day, we drove around to the other side of the mountains. Had we walked all the way up the previous stream and crossed over the mountain, we'd be on this stream. So we were about 15 miles away as the crow flies. Of course, it was a 5 hour drive to get there.

When we got there, nothing much was happening, so we piddled around for a little while. Then the bugs came out! I've never seen so many stoneflies in my whole life. So what were the fish eating? Caddisflies, of course! There were two massive hatches going on at once. Big golden stones were everywhere (including on the water), but the fish were keying in on the clouds of caddisflies that were returning to the water to lay eggs.

On this day, though, my buddy really came into his own. At one point the day before, I'd caught somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 fish, while he'd only caught two. On this day, he put it to me. I caught somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 fish that day, and he doubled me up. He caught the biggest fish of the day too, a nice 15" cutt out of a stream that shouldn't hold fish that big.

We rounded out to trip with a nice meal of the previous day's rainbow, as well a smaller cutthroat from the final day's stream. A little salt, pepper, rosemary, lemon, onion and garlic, wrapped in foil and baked over a bed of hot coals. Absolutely fantastic.