+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sierra Club

Hybrid View

Default Sierra Club

Ex-EPA official who touted 'crucify' strategy headed to Sierra Club

The former Environmental Protection Agency regional administrator who once said that his regulatory enforcement philosophy was to "crucify" and "make an example of" non-compliant companies has taken a job with the Sierra Club.

Al Armendariz quickly resigned from the EPA after his videotaped comments were made public. He will now work as part of Sierra Club's "Beyond Coal" campaign based in Texas.

Great.....now we have another of our sporting groups to watch. Since they'll be spending more time chasing anti-fossil fuel activism than what many sportsmens dollars support them for.

That's not really any change for the Sierra Club.
    Tim

That's correct, it's no big change. I received a letter soliciting $$ to help fight the destruction of the wolves. The letter went on and on about how all of the wolves are being killed. The problem with the letter was that it did not mention steps that some States have taken to manage the wolves. According to the letter hunters and others were just decimating the wolf population. Their to far to the left for me.

I agree...and WAY OFF of what reality is in the wolf situation.

Blog Entries

I just want to point out that the Sierra Club is NOT a hook and bullet organization, but an environmental organization. Although many "sportsmen and women" are members, their object is to protect the whole environment. That's an important difference. Their concern is the whole of everything, not just the wolves, or doves or ducks or fish. In that regard methyl mercury effects everything, and 90% of it comes from coal fired plants here and abroad. It is the purvey of The Sierra Club to point that out and try to increase awareness of that fact. Here in Minnesota it is a huge problem. One in ten babies are born with levels of mercury in the blood above the safe limit. Expectant mothers should consume NO fish what so ever, and the rest of us no more that one meal a month. In some waters, like the St. Louis River that enters Lake Superior at Duluth, or the Mississippi south of Minneapolis, the recommendation is to consume NO fish whatsoever. For the Sierra Club to have a hard headed advocate in charge of their Beyond Coal campaign is exactly what I would want and expect. It would make John Muir (and his grandson who lived just one lake away from me) proud. Too soon we forget the children of Sioux Narrows, the armless, deformed children, victims of methyl mercury just over out northern border. In Minnesota we're talking about it being too late to do anything about the legacy of coal and mining that resides in our waters, now it's about mitigating just how bad it could get, How sad. Thank you Sierra Club! As 'ol Harry Truman would say, "give 'em hell!"
    If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go."

Will Rogers

Well said,Corvus! Thank you.

I for one as a sportsman will never support them. At one time, yes....but not in quite some time. To each his own with his own time and money.

I miss my college bumpersticker. They were very active in Humboldt County, and not for anything good...unless you were into eco-whacko-ism.

What? The bumpersticker? "Sierra Club, Go Hike to Hell"
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

I think we may be missing the point here, letting our bias for the messenger get in the way of the message. The message is killer coal is a bad energy source. We didn't know that 200 years ago when we started burning this stuff by the ton, but we know it now and it's time to transition to a better way. Don't get misdirected by the clean coal messages and self serving ads of the energy giants, or misdirected from the truth by the guy on the horse... "The British ARE coming" the message is true. Coal kills and deforms people, animals and fish. Don't lose sight of the truth because you don't like with the guy telling you, sometimes he may be right.
    If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go."

Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread