+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage Circa rods

Hybrid View

Default Sage Circa rods

I just watched a video for this new series of Sage rods. They are suppose to be medium action rod that is close to a glass or bamboo action. Per the video the blank in this series flexs into the grip. Lenghts are I believe 7'9" 2,3 and 4 wt. and an 8'9" 4 and 5 wt. Price is $745-$775. So what rod series is Sage dumping ZXL and the 99s? They will be for sale late August early September. Enjoy

Lanny

NewTyer 1 Guest

I thought they were to be slow action rods. Although Sage rods from what I have read tend to be faster than specified. I too saw the video and they always have nice videos that get you pumped up. I liked the way it was filmed in slow motion and the part where they should the glass rod side by side with the Circa in slow mo to show the comparision between the flex of the two. I could never afford a Sage rod already, and at that price, it's nothing but a pipe dream. It does look promising. Once all the hype dies down and the people write thier reviews, I would like to here an actual, true review. Here is the link for anyone else curious about this rod.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/blog/06/2...circa-fly-rod/
    Last edited by NewTyer 1; 06-29-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Added link

Don't need a dry fly rod I have a 490-4SLT still works just fine as a dry fly rod. For me the best dry fry rod ever made.

Why buy a Sage rod with bamboo action for a price that would get you a real bamboo rod? No rod is ever as out of date as last week's model Sage.

David

Quote Originally Posted by djo View Post
    Why buy a Sage rod with bamboo action for a price that would get you a real bamboo rod? No rod is ever as out of date as last week's model Sage.

David
    Amen Brother, Amen!!

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    Amen Brother, Amen!!

Brad
    Ditto that! Funny how many graphite rod ads you see touting their newest rod as reminescent of glass or bamboo!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Quote Originally Posted by djo View Post

David
    Most bamboo rods I come across have a price tag north of $1.5K, and many times closer to $2K. So... a price tag of $750 is just a little under half the cost of bamboo.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Quote Originally Posted by branhap View Post
    Most bamboo rods I come across have a price tag north of $1.5K, and many times closer to $2K. So... a price tag of $750 is just a little under half the cost of bamboo.
    Respectfully, there are several modern makers of bamboo rods whose price range is closer to $775.00 than a $1000.00. Do the research.
    And, what if there wasn't? Don't tout your g rod as being like a bamboo rod when it can't be.....not even close.

Another option for bamboo is buying a vintage rod. Many out there in the $400.00 to $800.00 range that rival the current high dollar bamboo rods.
    Plus, they don't lose their value like a new car when you drive it off the lot. Pay $775.00 for the latest greatest Sage and see what you can get for it on the
    secondary market should you decide it's just not what it was touted to be or just doesn't suit your style. Another plus, bamboo rods can most times be
    repaired when damaged, I wouldn't trust a graphite repair as far as I could cast it.

Just my 77,500 cents worth.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

i am already into real glass of the new school and have been for some time now, sage now has a new pseudo-glass, imagine that. i wonder if it will outshine the One ?
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    Respectfully, there are several modern makers of bamboo rods whose price range is closer to $775.00 than a $1000.00. Do the research.
    And, what if there wasn't? Don't tout your g rod as being like a bamboo rod when it can't be.....not even close.

Another option for bamboo is buying a vintage rod. Many out there in the $400.00 to $800.00 range that rival the current high dollar bamboo rods.
    Plus, they don't lose their value like a new car when you drive it off the lot. Pay $775.00 for the latest greatest Sage and see what you can get for it on the
    secondary market should you decide it's just not what it was touted to be or just doesn't suit your style. Another plus, bamboo rods can most times be
    repaired when damaged, I wouldn't trust a graphite repair as far as I could cast it.

Just my 77,500 cents worth.
    It's true, a 'custom' bamboo rod is likely well beyond most people's budget. It's also true you can get a less expensive bamboo rod. likely a production one (Montague, Horrocks-Ibbotson, Goodwin Granger, etc. amongst others). For example, look on E-Bay. But realize the taper of the bamboo rod makes all the difference in the world as to how it casts and feels in the hand. Two bamboo rods of the same length and weight may have different actions depending on the taper. People also complain some of the older bamboo rods were heavy and it's true in comparison to graphite rods. It's a fiction to say a graphite rod is going to imitate the action of a bamboo rod. Which bamboo rod? Besides, put aside the cost of the bamboo rods for a second. Which one do you like better when casting it? It could be the less expensive bamboo rod. What you like to cast is really the bottom line.

As much as I dislike Sage rods because they're too fast for me, graphite has its advantages. You have to be more patient with your casting stroke on a bamboo rod than a graphite rod. Moreover, if you break a graphite rod then it is not that big of a deal. Break a bamboo rod and you may need to have a bamboo rod maker rebuild the broken section if you want to keep the taper. They might be able to repair it if the break isn't too bad. Matching the color of the replacement section and wraps on an older bamboo rod may not be possible. Graphite on the other hand just requires you to slap in a replacement section and it'll probably look like the original section. Besides, break an expensive custom bamboo rod and you'll probably feel a range of emotions (self-loathing, resignation, queasy, angry and at the very least, stupid) unlike breaking a graphite rod. Moreover, playing and reeling in a fish on a bamboo rod is entirely different than on a graphite rod. You've got to be aware and careful.

One thing is for sure, a custom bamboo rod will always be an heirloom. A less expensive production bamboo rod and graphite rod won't. You likely wouldn't put a graphite rod above the mantle. But a rod is ultimately just a tool to catch a fish with.

Still, I really can't see buying graphite to imitate the feel of a good bamboo rod. Who knows though? I'd have to cast the Sage Circa rod to make that assessment.
    Last edited by flyfysher; 07-07-2012 at 02:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread