+ Reply to Thread

Thread: We have Tenkara in Sacramento now.

Hybrid View

Default We have Tenkara in Sacramento now.

I stopped by at Fly Fishing Specialties here in Sacramento yesterday just as they were setting up their new TenkaraUSA display.

Oh my gosh I want one!

I grabbed the 13' AYU rod and it was so strange. I could see the rod, I could feel that I was holding something, but it had no mass. It was so light that part of my brain was having trouble accepting that it actually exists.

I was told that Daniel from TenkaraUSA is doing an in store training for the staff on Tuesday at 10am. Rick, one of the owners, invited me to stop by so I think I'm going to take some time off from work to go. I'm planning a lot of backpacking this summer and this rod would be perfect.

I can so see myself getting hooked on this new rod and new technique.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the demonstration. There are even lighter rods than the Ayu, and some are short enough when collapsed to fit entirely into a backpack so you don't have to carry them exposed on the side of your pack.

Whichever rod you choose, though, I'm sure you'd enjoy tenkara. Backpacking and tenkara go together very well.
    Tenkara Bum

Dru -

Despite the fact that the Ayu is heavier than the Iwana ( I have and fish both ), it actually feels lighter in hand to me and fishes more comfortably over the course of a day than the Iwana. While lighter, the Iwana seems to take more attention and energy to fish. The Yamame was downright unpleasant for me compared to the other two.

I suggest that you spend as much time as possible with a variety of Tenkara rods to see which one fits best regardless of length, weight, or action.

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

I'm considering purchasing the Iwana and one of the grip / length shortening handles - have you tried the shorter version of the Iwana and if so, which?
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfMartin View Post
    John,

I'm considering purchasing the Iwana and one of the grip / length shortening handles - have you tried the shorter version of the Iwana and if so, which?
    Mine is a 12' model. I don't have a clue how the shorter Iwana rods would feel / handle compared to that model. I'm not familiar with the length shortening handles.

I think it depends on your attitude and casting stroke, which rod will be the best fit. The Ayu is a well balanced, really relaxed, effortless casting rod, which is why it feels so light in hand to me.

The Iwana just demands a bit more attention for me to get it right, which translates to more work and less pleasure, and the sense that it is heavier.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Dru -

Despite the fact that the Ayu is heavier than the Iwana ( I have and fish both ), it actually feels lighter in hand to me and fishes more comfortably over the course of a day than the Iwana. While lighter, the Iwana seems to take more attention and energy to fish. The Yamame was downright unpleasant for me compared to the other two.

I suggest that you spend as much time as possible with a variety of Tenkara rods to see which one fits best regardless of length, weight, or action.

John
    That's really good to know. If they let us go outside and cast them I'll try to be aware of thsoe differences.

But you know what? These rods are actually pretty cheap. I can buy the rod, line, case and soem flies for under $200. I can't buy a decent rod/reel/ line combination for that price. I could easily becoem addicted to these rods.

Dru -

I don't know that this is current information, but when I bought my TenkaraUSA rods a couple years ago, they had a "90 day return" policy with no questions asked. You might want to check this feature on their current website. If it still is in force, you don't have to be so concerned about buying a rod you will end up not liking. Just send it back and order a different model, with whatever price adjustment would be in order.

John

+ Reply to Thread