Thread: Suggestions for Hiwassee or Tellico(Tn) this weekend

Threaded View

Went to Tellico, North river, and Hiwassee. Both the Tellico and North were just too hot. Fish were in seclusion. After a busted bad day on Saturday we went to Hiwasee. Damn! They don't believe in signage there. And the locals, even those in the know call the local roads by local terms and not by what signs say. 'Powerhouse road' has another sign on it(Childer's Creek). And signs in general to help you find anything are non-existent. Cell signal is non-existent, so electonic maps and gps are next to useless. Many roads there aren't even on gps. Finally found out how to get up toward the powerhouse and fished below it(just above the rock bridge and below the larger parking area with the boat ramp). Had to walk out a good ways over the rocks. Found a pocket with some stockers and made a morning of it, pulling in 30 in about 2 hours. Didn't see anything other than stockers. The river seems to cater to rafting, so it was a bit hard to work around the generation(although nothing major). Basically they seem to give the morning to fishermen and late morning to all the rest of the day is for float trips.
    Hiwasee Angler had some good info on where to fish and I rewarded them with buying some flies I really didn't need (as it worked out). Man, that looks like it could be a killer fishing river, if they'd let it become one!!
    I caught all my fish on soft hackles.....what else is new . They seem to work everywhere.
    With cell service spotty at best, checking generation schedules was hard to do. But the locals do post the schedule pretty well in the stores/shops.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 07-02-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.