+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old "standard" fly patterns vs. new designs

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Old "standard" fly patterns vs. new designs

Hi,

A while back I posted my view that the flies of "yesteryear" such as the Wulf series, catskill series, Pott flies, etc. would not fare as well today as they did in the "old days". As you might suspect, I got a number of folks ruffled and somewhat defensive. My theory due in large part to the heavy fishing pressure on our rivers today.

Oddly enough, while in Island Park/Last Chance Idaho, while fishing the Henry's Fork, I met Rene and Bonnie Harrop. I bought and used a number of their flies and picked up his new book and a couple of his his tying videos.

Anyway, while reading his new book, I noticed a photo of a Catskill pattern amongst his more realistic designed flies and it caught my attention as it seemed odd to be amongst his patterns. Well, when I read the caption, I realized why it was there:

When I watched his video on tying the life cycle of the caddis flies, he also had a discussion on the river in which he explained that on today's heavily fished rivers with catch and release, the fisher must use more realistic flies to be effective.

Now, I know this won't change any minds as my earlier post did not change any minds. However, is is comforting to know that a world class fisher/tier/artist like Rene Harrop shares my opinion.
    Thanks,
    Byron
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 06-27-2012 at 10:00 PM.

If pattern's have to be more realistic to be effective then why is a pattern like Frank Sawyers Killer Bug still so effective? I think someone once said that "fly pattern's catch more fisherman than fish". Maybe I'm just old fashion. Just my two cent's.

Blog Entries

Tex,

Interestingly enough, Rene Harrop's book addresses the very question you asked (I think). But, first let me say, my comments and Rene's comments apply to heavily fished, famous fly fishing water with Catch and Release regulations - thus the conditioning of the trout to artificial flies.

You mention Frank Sawyer's "Killer Bug". Mr. Harrop, in his book, does address Frank Sawyer's Pheasant Tail Nymph and a variation (with rationale) to it.

His variation:

Last edited by Byron haugh; 06-27-2012 at 11:02 PM.

I think if you posed this question on sparsegraymatter and Catskill site you would get a big argument. If you go into those shops in Roscoe their bins are full of the old standards. Those waters are fished as heavily as any.

My response to your opinion, regardless of those who support it, is simple - You're entitled to your opinion but BFD and WGAS!

Allan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    My response to your opinion, regardless of those who support it, is simple - You're entitled to your opinion but BFD and WGAS!

Allan
    Enlightening. Thanks. I think there may be some fly tiers/fishers who do care. Rene's book is a pretty big seller and it is based upon fly designs which more closely represent the various life stages of aquatic insects.

I'm sure some, like you, could care less (as expressed). Others may enjoy learning from such a famous tier/fisher as Rene Harrop and try to expand their knowledge and skills?

Byron Haugh
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 06-28-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Byron , I do understand your point. I've read about fisherman on classic chalk streams in England seeing trout rise and then refuse naturals. I think I'll keep my favorite classic patterns and and reserve a grin for the trout that are not fooled by my offering and just try something else. Just all part of the fun.

+ Reply to Thread