Sport fishing column for June 25 to July 2, 2012

I know it doesn't feel like it, but summer started last Thursday; coming up, the first official long weekend of the summer.

"Man was meant for summer and summer for man ? with running water in the cool murmur of the hills ?

I first learned to fish in summer holidays from school and never gave thought to theories that it might not be a good time to fish. The stream was there, the fish were in it and fish in a stream were to be tempted, risen, hooked and landed. If they chose to lie on the bottom through the heat of the day, there would be a hatch later and they would come up." Passage taken from author Roderick Haig-brown's book, Fisherman's Summer.

While many of us fish all year round, summer tends to be the beginning of high season. For me summer holds many fond memories of stalking trophy fish on warm evenings during fire red sunsets. Those of us who have tried to boat a 30 lb Lake Erie rainbow, during the three week long Ontario Great lakes derby, know what I am talking about. As do those who pursue the coho sized rainbows that rise aggressively, in many of our BC Rivers during the stonefly hatch. Other have memories bathed in the rosy hue of a red sun as it sinks into the sea beyond the line of fishing boats, while rod and reel strain heavily under the pulse of strong and healthy Tyee.

Summer is a season like no other; memories made in this moment last for a lifetime. Make time for it, because like that trophy fish you missed, it will be gone all too soon.

The Report

With sun in the forecast our lower mainland lake fishing looks good for the weekend. For wet (sinking) fly trout fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Red Spratley, Coachman, Zulu, American Coachman, Professor, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Dragonfly Nymph, Sixpack, Doc Spratley, Pumpkinhead, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly trout fishing try: Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Royal Coachman, Renegade, Elk hair Caddis, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, or Lady McConnel. For kokanee try: Red Ibis, Double Trued, Blood Worm, San Juan Worm, Red Spratley, or Red Carey. For bass try: Zonker, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Lefty's Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Hair Frog, Foam Frog, Poppers, or Crayfish. For panfish try: Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Bucktail, Dolly Whacker, Bloodworm, Chironomid, Poppers, Turks Tarantula, Tom Thumb or Irresistible.

Fishing on our interior lakes is good. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Halfback, 52 Buick, Pumpkinhead, Big Black, Micro Leach, Coachman, Green Spratley, Carey Special, Souboo, or Baggy Shrimp. For Dry fly fishing on those warm afternoons, try: Lady McConnel, Black Gnat, Double Hackled Peacock, Griffith Gnat, Elk Haired Caddis, Irresistible, Sofa Pillow, or Tom Thumb.