Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
... I switch to the Cap Spider pattern by the late Michael Verduin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZekzILGRI which is a killer fly for bream. I find that tying this pattern with only two legs on each side is much easier and just as if not more effective. To fish this pattern, cast it as close to weedlines or brush overhangs as possible and then strip it in with quick 1-2 inch strips with a 1-2 second pause between strips. The larger fish tend to take this pattern very softly so you really have to watch the tip of your fly line for slight movements. In the past three trips, I've caught approximately 75 bream (red ear, bluegill etc), with at least 50 of them being between 10 and 13 inches long all on this pattern. It is a must-have pattern for bluegill fishermen.

Jim Smith
Michael Verduin.jpgVerduin's Catalpa Worm.jpgVerduin's Plastic Pig.JPG
Michael Verduin was a warm water tyer /fly fisher who created a number of innovative, effective, overall just marvelous flies. As Jim stated above Michael's Cap Spider is a killer bream pattern and his tying demo. posted above is a must for all water water tyers, as are his Catalpa Worm and Plastic Pig.