+ Reply to Thread

Thread: crickets

Hybrid View

Smile crickets

i have a friend that says he can only catch what we refer to as coppernose hybrid bluegill at a local private lake on live crickets. temps here are high 90 to 100+. we have good success earliy in the year at same lake using hare's ear nymphs, jitterbees, etc. he also uses light spin tackle with sliders and other soft plastics. he contends that nothing will produce now other than live crickets. I am determined to prove him wrong but he is an excellent catcher of fish. amy suggestions welcomed, hope to go saturday. we also catch very large shell crackers (chinquapin) early each year, 1 pound is average, and they disappear after may or june? whatsupwidat?

You are catching shell crackers during the spawn. After that they get lock jaw unless you find the "perfect" snail fly. That has yet to appear.
    For the coppernose you can try a march brown nymph.

Depend on what kind of trees are around the pond you might want to drop a green weenie or a catalupa pattern; ant patterns would be worth investigating also. But my brain thinks go early or go late for the maximum advantage.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Try the Foam Butt Caddis.....Fly Of The Week, May7th. Twitch-retrieved with small 1" twitches, pausing about 5 seconds between each twitch....they love it.

FBC10.jpg
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 06-29-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Try a 1/80 oz black microjig under an indicator (I like a small hackle collar just behind the jighead)....experiment with depth based on depth of the outside weed edge or weedbed tops. I caught a few Redear Sunfish (Shellcrackers) and plenty of bluegills about a week ago on such a rig.
    If the black fails, try with a gold or silver Springbrook Wunder style microjig.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Gotta remember if fish started only eating one thing (like crickets) they would starve to death. the fish are obviously eating other things so what you need to do is experiment around. go back and forth between natural colors and bright ones. i can tell you from personal experience my absolute favorite bluegill fly is a short fat yellow chenille spider with a deer hair wing. yellow seems to be my all time most effective color for bluegill here, but if your only success is on live crickets, try flies that are the same color as those.

and the most important thing, fish SLOW and with a very slow sinking fly. LOOOONNNGGGGG pauses are the only way to bring in stubborn summer panfish

Quote Originally Posted by DDRRedneck500 View Post
    Gotta remember if fish started only eating one thing (like crickets) they would starve to death....
    and the most important thing, fish SLOW and with a very slow sinking fly. LOOOONNNGGGGG pauses are the only way to bring in stubborn summer panfish
    Try a black woolly bugger, stripped very slowly for red ears (i.e. shell crackers / chinquapins)... once caught a 2+ pounder this way at Bodcau in northwestern LA... That's Louisiana not "Lower Alabama" HA!

+ Reply to Thread