+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air travel and rod tubes...

Default Air travel and rod tubes...

I've searched the forum and found nothing recent on this topic - I am leaving from Michigan through O'Hare for Colorado on Thursday (it's Tuesday morning now) and was blithely thinking I would just carry on my 7' 2 piece bamboo rod in a 44" aluminum rod tube. Then it dawned on me - I travel a lot and don't recall ever seeing anyone carry on something that size. Has anyone got some wisdom for me that is current, up-to-date? Most posts are 4 years old and TSA changes things constantly. Thanks!
    Bob

Haven't travelled with a 2 pc rod since 9/11. Last time I did, flying out of Dulles, I had to check it; switched planes at Minneapolis and saw about 10 people carrying 2 pc tubes around the terminal. Like you said, TSA changes their rules at a whim and they stopped using logic the day they came up with their 3 letter acronym. You might get through with a pvc tube, although I doubt it; don't think you stand a chance with aluminum. Hope you prove me wrong. Have a great trip.

Regards,
    Scott

NewTyer 1 Guest

I'm not sure about something in aluminum and two piece but travel rods are no trouble. Call your airline and explain you situation and I'm sure they will let it on after a brief in search. If you have a cordora tube, it might help.

TSA will not have an issue except for the metal rod tube. Metal tube = blunt weapon you could bludgeon somebody with.

The airline might have a problem with the length of the tube in the overhead. I'd also imagine that the plane from Michigan to O'hare will be quite small, so you'll probably have to drop it off before stepping on to the plane.

Having done it myself, I'll bet there will be a lot of rods on the plane out of Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    TSA will not have an issue except for the metal rod tube. Metal tube = blunt weapon you could bludgeon somebody with.
    Having been hit over the head with 1 1/2" pvc tube (don't ask), I can tell you it's just as good a bludgeon as aluminum. Someone should put together a TSA Greatest Hits article; one of my favorites was not allowing flyreels in carry-on because the line could be used to strangle someone. TSA is an endless source of amusement, unless your on the receiving end of one of their 'episodes' in which case it's an endless source of frustration, anger and anxiety.

Regards,
    Scott

Sometimes you get lucky. I was carrying on a guitar (admittedly this was years ago) and the attendant was demanding that I check it which, having heard the horror stories, I was very reluctant to do. The captain asked, "What have you got in there?" Martin D-28, I replied. He said, "I'm a player myself. That's a nice guitar. Why don't you let me carry that up in the cockpit for you?" Handed it out to me at the end of the flight.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I've carried everything from small pack rods to spey rods and never once had a problem. Consult with the airline first as your results may vary.

Once again. If I am taking something larger than a pack rod I ship it via UPS to my destination. Never had an issue.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Check with the TSA website AND the airline website. If they say it's OK, print the pages so you can show personnel if they have a problem with it. I've never had a problem with aluminum tubes for my 4 piece rods and I've seen hundreds of guitar cases (that must be close to 44" in length) being carried on board airlines. It's hard for me to imagine you'd have a problem unless you get a snit airline or surly TSA employee. And, that can happen!

Wow... thanks for all of the feedback.

This has enough variables out of my control that I am resorting to a 1970's era rod case I used to take in a float plane to northern Ontario. Back then it was full of casting and spinning rods. I'll just check it as baggage and hope they don't run over it with a forklift or worse. We'll see what United nicks me for this...

Here's what I decided on after I dredged this old relic out of the garage and cleaned it up...
    Rod case in carrying case for CO trip.jpg

+ Reply to Thread