+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air travel and rod tubes...

Hybrid View

I've carried everything from small pack rods to spey rods and never once had a problem. Consult with the airline first as your results may vary.

Once again. If I am taking something larger than a pack rod I ship it via UPS to my destination. Never had an issue.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Check with the TSA website AND the airline website. If they say it's OK, print the pages so you can show personnel if they have a problem with it. I've never had a problem with aluminum tubes for my 4 piece rods and I've seen hundreds of guitar cases (that must be close to 44" in length) being carried on board airlines. It's hard for me to imagine you'd have a problem unless you get a snit airline or surly TSA employee. And, that can happen!

Wow... thanks for all of the feedback.

This has enough variables out of my control that I am resorting to a 1970's era rod case I used to take in a float plane to northern Ontario. Back then it was full of casting and spinning rods. I'll just check it as baggage and hope they don't run over it with a forklift or worse. We'll see what United nicks me for this...

Here's what I decided on after I dredged this old relic out of the garage and cleaned it up...
    Rod case in carrying case for CO trip.jpg

Your safest and most certain option is to FedEx it to your destination. Carry-on is a roll of the dice. If the dice roll wrong, every CO fly shop I know will be happy to sell you a new rig.

Have carried two piece rods onto planes, post 9/11, but not for a few years. CA to ID, no problems. The plane had every other overhead with a pass-through in the middle, making the overhead long enough.

Mike
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    Your safest and most certain option is to FedEx it to your destination. Carry-on is a roll of the dice. If the dice roll wrong, every CO fly shop I know will be happy to sell you a new rig.
    I agree with Brad. Ship it and then you have no worries.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

The airlines website should give you enough information to determine what you can carry on. If it will fit in an overhead, I think it will be fine regardless of the material the case is made of. If you want to take a chance on a two piece carry on, I would also have a $50 bill in my pocket.

Agree....it's all in flux and depends on who is at the check-in.
    Went to Belize in 2009 and two of us had the exact same 4-rod travel cases.
    I went thru, no problem. The other guy in the next line had to check his. Go figure.
    Hope you have a great trip.
    striper33

Quote Originally Posted by striper33 View Post
    Agree....it's all in flux and depends on who is at the check-in. Went to Belize in 2009 and two of us had the exact same 4-rod travel cases. I went thru, no problem. The other guy in the next line had to check his. Go figure. Hope you have a great trip. striper33
    Did the guy who checked his get them back? Miami used to have the worse problem with theft from passenger bags in the country. I have no idea if it has improved or not. A baggage claim thief might have a buddy on the front end to funnel stuff his way. I know I lost a camera and some souvenirs from Chile the last time I coming back from down there.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread