+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about head cement

Hybrid View

Default Question about head cement

I bought a bottle of head cement today. I think it has an applicator installed on the lid.

The metal pin goes through the lid. I can't push it down to get into the cement. Am I supposed to use the end with the red plastic to apply the cement to the fly? I can push the plastic down, exposing a loop of thin wire. Am I supposed to do that, then once I'm done with the cement, raise the plastic until the loop is covered, and wipe off any excess cement? Will I be able to use it again after that?

Or, should I just buy or make a bodkin?

Remove the red cap and tip the bottle up. squeeze out a drop of head cement if necessary. Replace cap by inserting pin into tube. I have found that this kind of applicator bottle tends to encourage evaporation. Be prepared to add thinner as needed.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

What rainbowchaser said. I've tried to use those bottles for thinned vinyl cement and have been very disappointed in their shelf life.

Regards,
    Scott

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

What has already been said. This type of applicator seems to work best with the 'so-called' water based cements, as the solvent does not evaporate out as fast. A trick for slowing down the loss of solvent evaporation for the other types of cement is to store the container in the refrigerator when not in use. Some even advocate in the freezer compartment. The solvents in most of the non-water types have a freezing point much lower than that of the water based cements, so they do not freeze.

I would concur with the previous opinions on the matter.

Personally, for 'head cement' I use a bottle of whatever super glue has a brush applicator inside. It is inexpensive and comes with a new applicator with each bottle.

Enjoy!
    Don Rolfson

Buy a Renzetti head cement bottle. It has a metal bodkin, and once you unscrew the lid, the bodkin has a plastic lid that seals the bottle between application. Screw the cap for a tight seal.

Buy some Sally Hanson's and put it in the bottle. You have a non clogging, self sealing bottle. Add thinner as needed.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

To ScottP: Most folks don't realize that the volatile solvent in cements will permeate the plastic bottles. You've probably noticed that most of them come in glass bottles. Water based stuff will evaporate this way also but much more slowly.
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 07-01-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Great point Ray; but do you mean "permeate",or "penetrate'? The latter will lead to a faster evaporation rate, and thus to premature thickening.

Thanks, Ray. Although I like the squeeze applicator, I'll keep it in glass from now on.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread