Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
Curious to hear how your hook rate will "improve" with barbless hooks?
The answer is simple physics... it's easier to penetrate the flesh of a fish's mouth with a needle (i.e. barbless hook point) than with a wedge (i.e. a barbed point).

Try pulling each into a sub-straight such as a taunt piece of plastic sheeting or small plastic bag held tightly between the fingers of a friend, and you will immediately see that much less pressure is necessary to penetrate the plastic with the barbless hook. Thus a higher hook rate.

By the way I've been demo.ing this little test a conclaves for over 25 years, and it still amazes folks when they try it for themselves.

I do agree with the rest of your statement, but would also add that both styles of hook can cause larger wounds, as the sharp point of a barb also moves and "cuts" the flesh that it contacts as it moves. This cutting action by the "sharp" barb point can often open a larger hole than that caused by the "smooth-shanked", barbless hook. This becomes especially important with the soft-fleshed sections of the mouths of fish species, such as crappie.

The real problem with barbless is that these "needle points" can penetrate deeper and are more likely to reach an eye or other vital area.

Back in the early 80's, in a Three M / S.A. fly fishing publication, there was an article by two very anal, engineer-types who spend hundreds of hours bass fishing where they compared barbed and barbless flies. As I remember, at the end of their study, overall when fishing with the barbless flies, they landed significantly more largemouth bass.

For the above reasons, I fish virtually all my flies barbless, but remember, except in "Barbless Only" regulated areas, ya' can fish how YOU like! HA!

Just my 2 cents.