+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had to put our dog to sleep today.

Default Had to put our dog to sleep today.

I cried like a baby. She was 15 years old, but we weren't ready. We missed a memorial service for our friend and her daughter to take our Beagle/Shi-tsu-poo to the emergency vet. She passed in my arms. I know we did the right thing for her, but mercy does this suck.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Didn't read...didn't wanna cry. Just scrolled to the bottom to say..."I feel what must be your pain". I was there 3 years ago, and still haven't been able to get another friend...
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Sorry to hear.It is amazing what these friends do for our lives.

A few years ago I had a weekend in which I held my dog as he was put away and then held my mother's hand as she passed away. It sounds awful, but I felt worse about the dog. Mom had been ill for a long time and was ready to go. The dog would probably have been happy to hang on a bit longer, but his quality of life and impact on our home had reached a point where we felt it was time to let him go gently.

Putting away a beloved dog is one of the hardest things we have to do in life, even when we are certain in our heads and hearts that it is the right thing to do.

It never gets easier. I've had to put down a Doberman I had for 10 years, 3 cats I had for 17-18 years, and a ferret I had for 7 years and it always hurts beyond words when you have to do it. But you have to do what's best for the animal so you did the right thing. It's amazing how much an animal can become like one of the family isn't it. I hope your heart heals soon.

Steve

You have my heart felt sympathies. I've been there and done that. After the right amount of time passes, you'll realize how big a blessing it is to be unconditionally loved. No one will understand your pain who has never belonged to a pet. They own us, and that's the way it should be. Take heart in knowing that one day the memories will bring smiles instead of tears.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Sorry to hear. You have my sympathies.
    ~Lost Time is Never Found Again~

You indeed have my sympathies. I had to put my 'Bear' of 13 years to sleep(I hate that term) last week. We're waiting for his ashes to be returned so we can have a little service. He'll lay alongside his 'friends' Sasha, Lizzie, and Faya later.
    Just remember (tears are welling up right now), "All dogs go to heaven". You may find some solace with the information at the site: www.rainbowbridge.com
    "Dogs are the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself" (not sure of the author).

Allan

I am so sorry to hear of all of your losses. Prayers to all.

PA Dave,

I was finally able to find this story I had read several times in the past. As I read it again through tear filled eyes I thought I'd share it with you and others who have 'lost' perhaps their best friend. I hope you find it as uplifting as I do and maybe you can make it through without your eyes welling up.

Again, my sincere condolences on the loss of your dog.

Allan

Dogs In Heaven?
    An old man and his dog were walking down this dirt road with fences on both sides, they came to a gate in the fence and looked in, it was nice grassy, woody areas, just what a 'huntin' dog and man would like, but, it had a sign saying 'no trespassing' so they walked on. They came to a beautiful gate with a person in white robes standing there. "Welcome to Heaven" he said. The old man was happy and started in with his dog following him. The gatekeeper stopped him. "Dogs aren't allowed, I'm sorry but he can't come with you."

"What kind of Heaven won't allow dogs? If he can't come in, then I will stay out with him. He's been my faithful companion all his life, I can't desert him now."

"Suit yourself, but I have to warn you, the Devil's on this road and he'll try to sweet talk you into his area, he'll promise you anything, but the dog can't go there either. If you won't leave the dog, you'll spend Eternity on this road."

So the old man and dog went on. They came to a rundown fence with a gap in it, no gate, just a hole. Another old man was inside. "S'cuse me Sir, my dog and I are getting mighty tired, mind if we come in and sit in the shade for awhile?"

"Of course, there's some cold water under that tree over there. Make yourselves comfortable"

"You're sure my dog can come in? The man down the road said dogs weren't allowed anywhere."

"Would you come in if you had to leave the dog?"

"No sir, that's why I didn't go to Heaven, he said the dog couldn't come in.
    We'll be spending Eternity on this road, and a glass of cold water and some shade would be mighty fine right about now. But, I won't come in if my buddy here can't come too, and that's final."

The man smiled a big smile and said "Welcome to Heaven."

"You mean this is Heaven? Dogs ARE allowed? How come that fellow down the road said they weren't?"

"That was the Devil and he gets all the people who are willing to give up a life long companion for a comfortable place to stay. They soon find out their mistake, but then it's too late. The dogs come here, the fickle people stay there. GOD wouldn't allow dogs to be banned from Heaven. After all, HE created them to be man's companions in life, why would he separate them in death?"

(Based on the "Twilight Zone" episode "The Hunt" written by Earl Hamner Jr.)

+ Reply to Thread