Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
John,
I did not see your retraction of that comment.
The hair products at BRF are patches cut from hand selected, locally supplied hides. As the "Home of the Sparkle Dun", they certainly have exceptional hair for the Sparkle Duns and Comparadun patterns.
By having bins of such select patches, it offers you the opportunity to select the hair for the particular size flies you want to tie.
Pre-packaged "Spirit River" hair doesn't allow the tier the opportunity to make such selections. If you call BRF and ask Bucky, Jackie or others to select a particular type of hair for you, they will do it.
As Craig Mathews says in his video of tying the Sparkle Dun, if your flies don't come out well, it could likely be the use of inappropriate deer hair.
One does not have to personally visit all the fly shops in the nation to locate the best deer hair. These days, if you listen to others, you can order the best available materials by phone or internet.

There are deer hair patches which would be great for tying a size 14; and there would be patches which would be great for a size 18. That is why it is good to personally go through bins or ask the staff to do so for you so that you get the best product for your needs.

Nice fish!!!
Salmon Fly hatch?

Just my views
Byron
Byron -

Regarding my "retraction", maybe you can find your earlier thread and post a link ??

One cutt was caught on a salmonfly pattern and the other on a golden stone.

John

P.S. Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that the deer hair at BFR is not excellent and that you do not get excellent service there. Throwing Chris Helms into the equation, from what many others have said about him, tends to balance the scales, but now I really don't know which is best ??

Note - it is possible and acceptable in the shops I've been in to open the Spirit River packs and inspect the contents. Even then, I recently acquired an inferior patch of humpy deer hair from a major Spirit River vendor ( not Jimmy's ). That's on me, not on them.