Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
... I followed up my comment about Jimmy's with another post pointing out that my earlier comment ( that Jimmy's has the best deer hair available ) was ridiculous or absurd or ludicrous or something like that.

I believe I also made the point in the follow up post that for anyone who has not been in all the fly shops in the country and checked out all the other sources of deer hair wherever they may be is not in position to claim that a particular shop has the best deer hair available.

As to checking out bins and bins of deer hair looking for the best, what's the point ?? It doesn't take the best deer hair to tie flies that catch fish. I, for one, would rather tie a fly that will work and go fish than spend time in a fly shop looking at stuff. Maybe these guys, from a few days ago ...

... wouldn't be discriminating enough for you, eating flies tied with deer hair bought at Jimmy's, but they would bring a smile to most fly anglers I know.

John
John,
I did not see your retraction of that comment.
The hair products at BRF are patches cut from hand selected, locally supplied hides. As the "Home of the Sparkle Dun", they certainly have exceptional hair for the Sparkle Duns and Comparadun patterns.
By having bins of such select patches, it offers you the opportunity to select the hair for the particular size flies you want to tie.
Pre-packaged "Spirit River" hair doesn't allow the tier the opportunity to make such selections. If you call BRF and ask Bucky, Jackie or others to select a particular type of hair for you, they will do it.
As Craig Mathews says in his video of tying the Sparkle Dun, if your flies don't come out well, it could likely be the use of inappropriate deer hair.
One does not have to personally visit all the fly shops in the nation to locate the best deer hair. These days, if you listen to others, you can order the best available materials by phone or internet.

There are deer hair patches which would be great for tying a size 14; and there would be patches which would be great for a size 18. That is why it is good to personally go through bins or ask the staff to do so for you so that you get the best product for your needs.

Nice fish!!!
Salmon Fly hatch?

Just my views
Byron