You heard about how much I hate doing wet fly wings, right? Of all the things involved in fly tying, there is one skill I have consistently failed to master.....wet fly wings!!!! You found my Kryptonite.

​I'm bouncing between either an Orange and Black, or the Governor. I like the colors.

My first two attempts at these flies are so bad I am not even going to post pictures. Turkey feathers do not cooperate with me. For some reason, the wings always wind up much thinner than desired, and having them match up is sheer fantasy. I think all of my turkey feathers came from specimens that were having a 'bad feather day'. They do not want to stay together.

At least I have lots of time to practice. I will decide on one, or the other of these patterns within the week. I'd really like to do the Orange and Black, but I will need to go to Sportman's Warehouse to get a lot of black turkey feathers to mess up. I have lots of Mottled Turkey, because I use it as nymph wing cases, and that's what color the turkeys I hunt around here are.

I also like the Blue Bottle, but I would have to get some slate turkey feathers to destroy.

I'll make up my mind sometime before July starts.