+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trout poppers

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    In situations where I know it's going to be a "nymph day", and have no expectations of seeing anything on the surface I tend to focus on the task at hand. I will be constantly changing patterns and especially depths. In those cases, a Thing-a-ma-bobber that relocates easilly is the most functional for me. But I agree....why not fish a fly when it fits.
    OK. The "relocatable" part does make sense. Good sense. I admit. I am working on a relocatable bobber hopper. I posted about that a few months ago. I bought a bag of foam bobber pins. But I have not yet succeeded in finding the right sized tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
    OK. The "relocatable" part does make sense. Good sense. I admit. I am working on a relocatable bobber hopper. I posted about that a few months ago. I bought a bag of foam bobber pins. But I have not yet succeeded in finding the right sized tubing.
    Sandy -

I found an interesting variety of plastic tubing at one of the local Ace Hardware stores. You might give them a look.

John
    The fish are always right.

Trying cleaning out a ballpoint pin refill. It can be done, rubbing alcohol works pretty well.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Four years owning a home in Gunnison, Co and the locals throught i was crazy to use a hopper dropper or beetle dropper. Both caught fish

Simple suggestions:
    1. 6mm craft foam sheets (if you want that thickness) are available from: http://www.craftsuppliesforless.com/...amsheets2.html in a wide variety of colors.
    2. O-rings can be placed on the collar of a fly for relocation adjustment http://www.oringwarehouse.com/ OR http://www.allorings.com/. Allorings has a good size chart. You use forceps to put one on a fly. Put the O ring on the forceps, open the jaws, put the fly between the jaws, close on the fly and roll the ring onto the fly.
    3. Easy stiff tubing is available in the form of cocktail straws (there are two sizes and any bartender will give you a bunch). Besides, the search can be fun.
    4. Gurgler patterns work great as strike indicators. I wouldn't suggest 6mm foam for this but a great option is taking two different colored sheets of sticky back 2mm foam sheets, sticking them back to back, and making two tone gurglers. Gurglers can be adorned with bucktail tails or wings, flash tails or Christmas wrap foam wings.

I just got back from the river, one of those days where things did not go right and I had no one but myself to blame. Had one foot in my waders and realized I did not have a PFD. Fished off the bank a little, limited opportunity for quality fishing in this area doing so but I used a foam grasshopper as a strike indicator. I used a 1/16" slice of a unused cather tube tied with about an inch and a half of mono to the hopper. My leader looped through the slice, pretty much like a 1/8" O ring. One of the two strikes I got was on the hopper, Sandy's point made with me anyway.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread