Thread: Trout poppers

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    P.S. I am curious whether anyone actually fishes for trout with bass poppers, and if so, under what conditions.
    I ran into a buddy last night. We watched the NBA finals game. He owns a 50 acre ranchette on the XXXX river where I was fishing yesterday. He said his (real rancher) neighbor likes to float the river on late summer evenings. He fishes a bait casting rod and big plastic Hula Poppers. And catches unusually large brown trout. I'm not a purist (you can tell). I'll fish with almost anything, as long as I'm flinging it with a fly rod. Hula Poppers are too heavy for a fly rod. But you could tie up something that size that was also a lot lighter. Foam or Deer hair maybe. Evening mouse pattern fishing has been coming back in style around here, last few years. I might have to tie up a flat-fronted mouse that gurgles some too. Late evening fishing intuitively sounds like the right time for trout poppers. But I DID have very good fishing yesterday morning, in bright sun, until a little after noon. Using gargantuan salmon fly imitations.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 06-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.