+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got my Scotty Fly Rod Holder today....

Hybrid View

Default Got my Scotty Fly Rod Holder today....

Luckily, I have a Scotty mount on the dash of my kayak. I just dropped the rod holder into the mount, and adjusted the tilt. Now, I can't wait until Sunday!

I love Scotty's. I have one of mine mounted in front of me and with the extension. This allows me to angle my rod across me and this is a great trolling position. You have your eye on the rod the whole time. Oh yea, having a Hobie definitely helps. You can get the idea from this pic.

That is a weird looking fly reel...LOL
    I have the glue on Scotty mounts. One up front to troll while row, and one behind to hold second rod.

I'm not even sure what happened to the rod holder that came with my yak. None of my catfish rods are small enough to fit into the standard Scotty rod holder. Then, I realized that the rod holder tended to catch stuff. I pulled it off 4 years ago. Not sure where it is now. I left the mount, though. Good thing, since now I have a use for it.

I'm still going to have to deal with the whole "snagging stuff" problem. I'm hoping that I have gotten used to the cockpit of my yak enough to not have a big deal with it. I'm planning on sitting side-saddle while using my fly rod in the yak (like I do most of the time I'm fishing). I'm "in the process" on building a stripping basket. That will also help contain the line.

I may have to teach myself to stand in my yak. I've seen a video of a gent standing in the exact same make/model boat that I have. Gonna have to practice in shallow water first, though.

Scotty thinks of everything too. Check out the camera mount (screw for regular cameras and the saddle for a GoPro clip)

Does that use the standard 1/4-20 tripod mount?
    Sometimes the other ones go away, but I'm always right here.

+ Reply to Thread