+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big Sky Salmon Fly pattern

Default Big Sky Salmon Fly pattern

Does any one have a step by step pattern for this fly?

This is what it looks like I really appreciate any help on this I could get!

Thanks!
    salmonfly.jpg

Lightbulb Here's a larger version ...

... from the Orvis website.

I can probably figure out the recipe and how I would tie this fly, if you really want to tie it. But I guess my first question is do you want to tie it just to tie this particular fly, or do you want to tie a good salmonfly pattern to actually fish ??

If you are "stuck in Afghanistan" and are looking for a fly tying challenge, I'll see what I can do for you. If you are planning to actually come to Montana to fish the salmonfly hatch, I'd rather offer you a good alternative.

John
    The fish are always right.

Actually when I get to leave Afghanistan in the next couple a months I plan to return to Oregon to fish it or something as good on the Middle Deschutes and no it does not need to be this actual fly something simular would be great!

Arrow Follow the link ...

... to the recent thread on salmonflies.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...49-Salmonflies-!!

I haven't fished in Oregon, but I seriously doubt that there is a salmonfly hatch to fish there a couple months from now. However, you can downsize the linked pattern for a golden stone or hopper, with appropriate color changes, and both of those insects will likely be available in Oregon at that time.

If you want the hopper specific fly tying outline, follow this link.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...tw20090810.php

Same basics, just a different size and color combination. It is the only pattern I tie for both hoppers and golden stones and it is my primary fly most of the summer and into fall here in the Intermountain West.

John

Thank you very much, I will most likely be using a lot of october caddis when I get home but I want to tie plenty of others up while I have the extra time on my hands. There could still be a late season salmon fly hatch and it really helps pass the time and keeps me looking forward to something other then where I am at. Again thanks!

Unforunately you may be SOL on Deschutes Salmonflies for the year. The hatch on the lower river is about over. It may last a little longer upriver. But don't let that stop you from stocking up. Or tie some up in Golden stone colors for the Metolius, where there is an extended hatch of goldens.

My favorites are the Rogue Stone http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=76
    Or the Norm Woods Special http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern12619.html

The current hot flyshop pattern is the Chubby Chernobyl http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...m?parentID=196

Have fun and welcome home when you get back to Oregon.
    Last edited by Jayatwork; 06-20-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Question Can somebody explain ...

... Charlie's statement in his description of the Chubby Chernobyl quoted below ...

"The Chubby Chernobyl comes from Idylwilde Flies out of Portland, Oregon. The Chubby is a take-off on the standard Chernobyl Ant, but with a much needed improvement; a big poly yarn wing that aids in flotation and visibility! You see, a standard Chernobyl is but thread and foam and floats well but low in the water. Not a big issue when being fished and spotted from the higher perspective of a drift boat, but toss that same fly while wade fishing and the low floating coupled with a lower sight angle and suddenly that inch and a half long fly becomes very hard to see and find! Damn near genius, someone at Idylwilde added a pair of thick, white poly yarn wings and not only made the fly WAY more visible (it looks like a marshmallow bobbing along out there) but drastically improved the floatation as well. Really a pretty simple fly to tie, the Chubby is a perfect dry dropper or HCD rig dry that will float a big tungsten nymph or two underneath it with no complaints. I'm not positive what exactly it imitates but it is certainly reminiscent of the ubiquitous Pickle, aka. Pat's Rubber Legs Nymph and perhaps the Chubby is what the Pickle hatches into upon maturity. None the less, the Chubby can cross over for a golden stone, a hopper or even that marshmallow if need be and will float all day long."

... how a material tied in above the point where the fly floats, that is on the top of the foam which is above the water surface, improves floatation ?? Seems to me the poly wing just adds weight and will reduce floatation.

No doubt that the poly wing improves visibility, for those who need that assist for whatever reason.

John

John, I had pretty much the same question about that comment.

+ Reply to Thread