My wife and I had a big scare yesterday. My 8 year old special needs son (he has Down Syndrome) was missing for about 15 minutes yesterday. He apparently walked out of the house while my wife was helping one of my daughters with her piano practice. When she went looking for him, and couldn?t find him anywhere, she discovered that his crocs that normally sit next to the door were gone. She went outside and looked up and down the street and couldn?t see him. She called me in a panic, and I told her to hang up immediately and call the police, which she did. I am, of course, at work, 45 minutes away (but of course on my way home now). One of my neighbors works nights, so I knew he would be at home sleeping, so I called him and woke him up. He immediately went outside to look for him and drove around the neighborhood to look for him. About the time the police were arriving, my neighbor found him not quite a block down the street. Praise God!

We are incredibly blessed to have found him so quickly! He is vulnerable in so many ways. Of course all the usual dangers are there, abduction and so forth, but one of the biggest dangers to him is that he is not yet aware of the dangers of traffic and cars. He could and would, without knowing better, run out in the street from behind a car. This could have ended very badly for us. Praise God it did not!

Thanks for listening. I needed that.