+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Too Heavy fly line

Default Too Heavy fly line

In a thread...that I can't find searching...someone...a regular... talked about weighing fly lines and said that a 6 wt weighed out as an 8 wt...I think it was a Rio Grande.

I'd like to have him confirm if I'm accurate and also would like to know if this was felt to be just a very rare occurrence ....perhaps a labeling error....or what.....that really seems unacceptable.

Just something that I've been wondering about but didn't get around to asking.

I think I remember(vaguely) that post and the line in question was advertised as weighing more(I guess it was supposed to load the rod better on the backcast.

But I could be wrong....it happened once before

seems to me that if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck...

line weights are based on exactly that, line weights. The standards depicted below are from AFTMA and establish standards to determine the correct line weight...'course, that doesnt mean that everyone has to subscribe to that standard, but if a line weights out at 210 then it is an 8 wt according to this standard.

AFTMA Fly Line Standards

Weight Size (grains) Tolerance AFTMA (the former American Fishing Tackle Manufacturers Association- now the ASA- American Sportfishing Association) Fly Line Standards were developed to help fly fishing tackle manufacturers create a system that would match fly line weight to fly rod performance. Cortland Line Company?s Leon Chandler was instrumental in initiating and completing the project. In theory this would standardize fly tackle manufacturing across the industry and enable fly fishers to select and balance their equipment for optimum performance.

The system uses the weight in grains (a very small weight measure) of the first 30 feet of fly line as a standard. The table below shows fly line weight designations and their grain weight. The system also established a tolerance level that is acceptable.

1 60 54-66
    2 80 74-86
    3 100 94-106
    4 120 114-126
    5 140 134-146
    6 160 152-168
    7 185 177-193
    8 210 202-218
    9 240 230-250
    10 280 270-290
    11 330 318-342
    12 380 368-392

For each weight heavier than 12, add 50 grains to the previous weight.

Ducksterman:

The Rio Grand is SUPPOSED to be heavier and is marketed as a line designed for FAST rods to get them load better.

I believe the advertised weight is 1.5 times heavier than a normal line of the same weight. I also THINK one of the Sci Angler lines is also heavier than a normal line for the same reason but I'm not positive.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 14 June 2006).]

Thanks Delo for the information. I cut and pasted for future referrance. Your dah man!

Bamboozle,
    Not quite correct on the Rio Grand fly line. The catalog states that the weight forward taper is one half size heavier to load fast action fly rods. Not 1.5 times heavier. Big difference. *S*

Jim:

Oops!

My mistake in translation; I meant that it is .5 heavier or plus a half a line weight.

Scientific anglers, GPX is a hair heavier as well, used for fast action rods. My favorite all purpose line.

+ Reply to Thread