+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: teaching casting

Default teaching casting

Hi, I am trying to teach the 10 year old nextdoor to cast a flyrod. He seems to be a bright little kid, no visible signs of head trauma or injuries. Course, one more person that fell out of their crib one to many times isn't going to be noticable on this planet. Yet he doesn't seem to be able to grasp casting. He seems to have it stuck in his mind that he has to use his whole arm fully extended to cast. Should I tie his forearm down to his body? I gave him a stick with a piece of string on it to pratice with and it has helped but he quickly regresses. How about some ideas? Thanks

My wife's graandfather was a salmon fishing guide on the Miramich River for 60 some years. He taught me how to cast 35 years ago (and I have been practicing ever since).
    He did exactly what you have suggested. He took his belt and mine, linked them together and put them quite snuggly around my body and upper right arm. It seems to have worked to some degree. I eventually taught fly casting to member's spouses at a private fly fishing club.
    Try the same thing with your little friend. You never know, and it beats the daylights out of a sting on a stick.

------------------
    Cheers
    Bob

I had thought of trying to 'teach' casting on here but gave the idea up as silly. We need a 'video-game' that lets them learn to cast with a joy-stick or thumbs.
    Actually attempting somthing 'outside' is an alian situation and does not 'compute'.

Why not just let him enjoy the whole experience, as he is, and worry about style later? It'll come, when he's not trying so hard.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Chubs,

Pat yourself on the back, you introduced
    him to casting, it will come with time and when it dose where ever he is I'll bet he will think of you!

Keep playing with him he will watch and learn.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Working with my 7 year old daughter, I am kneeling behind her with her hand in mine and we make the motions: lifting line, backcast, stop, forward, stop, backward etc. calling out each movement of this rhythm. I take a second to point her how to how the line bends the rod to explain the loading effect. Then I let her go at it for about 6 minutes and 38 seconds and we're on to another activity. Oh, don't use your bamboo!

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn

[This message has been edited by Wednesday Caster (edited 11 June 2006).]
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

I once saw a very interesting/convincing demonstration of teaching to cast. It was done by George Harveys pal,the name escapes me, but in essence he demonstrated kneeling on one knee. He placed his elbow with rod in hand and about 15 feet of line out on the upright knee and advised to use wrist only. He only had to give the student a cadence count for the back and forth rod motion and within a minute or two, the concept of casting a flyline was firmly implanted in the student. It sure worked on the child he used in his demo.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 11 June 2006).]

The way I learned to cast was in my backyard, alone and wacking myself with the line till I figured it out. Give the kid a rod for a few hours and let him work it out. If he really wants to learn he will.
    Steven

------------------
    "Just when I've caught a nice trout and feeling very proud of my fly fishing ability, my feet fly out from under me and there I sit, wet, flustered and properly humiliated by the Fly Fishing gods."
    Jimmy Moore, "Taken Down a Notch or Two"

I would like to say thank you to everyone. You have come up with some really good suggestions. I'll try them. Betty, I will even give the "letting it happen" a try.
    J.C. we are out of this loop but kids today would sit and use a joystick to do this if we don't get on them and drag them out there. You and I both know what a beautiful world it is out on the stream. I just got to drag this kid out and show him.

chubs,,, start him out on this game. He has to be quick to catch big ones. [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/about/sa/:21e93]http://flyanglersonline.com/about/sa/[/url:21e93]

+ Reply to Thread