+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: teaching casting

I read somewhere that for teaching kids you can replace the book with a dollar bill, well these days you may have to go to at least a ten to get their attention, under the arm instead of the book can work well. If they can complete the lesson without dropping the bill, they get to keep it, if not they get to try again next time. Wish I could remember where I saw that.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

The 'old way' was ,,, the kid stands in the water, book under arm.
    You mean that if they drop the ten-spot, they get 'another' try at it with yet another tenner? Boy, how things have changed.
    You pobably don't like throwing kids off a dock to learn them so swim either.

One thing that helps is to have the young man do drills with no rod but with both hands. Start with both hands as if the boy was holding a pretend gun with the hammer down. In other words the first finger pointing and the thumb in line with the finger. The starting position is pointing at the water/ground, and the move is one motion of up,lateral,snap on the backcast then lateral,snap,down on the frontcast. Having him do this drill for a short while with both hands with ingrain the motion much better. When you use both hands you have to use both halves of the brain and learning is much quicker.

Even with all the good advise be advised of two things. All youngsters have a short attention span and it's going to take a while for him to learn. Be patient and give lots of praise. Make sure he had fun and he'll keep coming back for more.

I'm not exactly sure when to do this with kids but it has been a peeve of mine that the anatomy of the fly line is not discussed.... taught... to the beginning fly caster....the simple..."now remember you are casting the fly line" just doesn't hack it....MHO

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 13 June 2006).]

Ive not found age to be much of a barrier to understanding, 8 to 80+ most if not all understand what an instructior is saying. Im also convinced that too many well meaning instructiors arnt considering what the student is hearing in the language instructiors choose. When ask to "cast" a fly rod and they give you their understanding of "cast" and their understanding of "casting" comes from other types of fishing tackle......... well; you got what you asked for.

------------------
    Captn. Paul Darby
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Yo, Captain! Good to see ya buddy! Keep posting, making rods, teaching casting and fix'in reels. Stay in touch.

No JC, the plan was that if they make it through the entire practice session without dropping the bill they get to keep it. If they drop it they haveto give it back and wait for the next practice session to try again.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

So no real lose for failure. Keep trying as often as they want to. This puts on value on the instructors time, much like the tests in school these days. It's the 'responsibility' of the teacher to 'teach'; not the 'responsibility' of the student to learn.

I guess it all fits with today's PC values and attitudes. Funnu how society advances.

+ Reply to Thread