+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Float Tube Advice

Default Float Tube Advice

Hi,
    I was doing a little research on float tubes and it seems the general opinion is they should be used on still-waters only. I was looking to use one on Michigan's Ausable River. Since it is a pretty slow moving river would a float tube work here?
    Any help would be great.

I have fished, along with many others, in the Chattahoochee River, which is mostly a slow moving rivers, with a few small rapids for several years from float tubes. I have fished from doughnut tubes and currently use a Fishcat, which is near the top of the tube design in my opinion. I have been upside down in both types, only once because of water movement. Other than the loss of a couple of fishing rods and the drowning of electronics (cell phones & cameras) no permanent damage done. If money is no object check out the Scadden line of float tubes. For around $200 a Fishcat 4 is the way to go. Get a comfortable PFD and wear it.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

While I would not fish a "Donut" in moving water, I am perfectly comfortable in fishing an open front (U-boat style) tube in mild waters. HOWEVER....not with waders. shorts with fins only.

Ralph

I've fished from float tubes over the last 40 years. They have evolved from inner tubes with canvas webbed seats to the inflatable mini-yachts we see on the market nowadays. If you want to go for versatility, stability and load capacity, check into the "Watermaster". http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/ I've used one for about 15 years now and I think they have more going for them than the other designs. They ain't cheap, though, starting at about $1500.
    Pat

I'm sure a float tube would work pretty well, but I think you'd do a lot better with a pontoon boat in a shallower river like the Ausable.

TT.

I would agree that a pontoon is the way to go. I sold my U-Boat by Caddis to purchase an Outcast 8' pontoon and love it on moving and still water.
    MW

I thought I preferred the open front like on SFC, FC and pontoons but I got the NFO ASSAULT this year. I love the stability of this thing. I can actually stand on the seat area with ease. I thought landing fish to the side would be a challenge but it isn't. Something about the design is very secure feeling. The rockers give the boat a foot print of two pontoons. NO DRAG like other models. The inflatable seat area rocks with pressure valve. I got the Apron for mine and have all sorts of storage. $1300. and weighs 23 lbs. There is an Ultra light version (no bags or D rings) that weighs around 18 lbs. It rolls up into a rolling duffle.

I have added sonar and the motor mount and motor to mine, plus two Scotty glue on rod holders although the side bags have rod holders built in.

It is 8 1/2 feet long.

Stripped down

Packed up:

I was just up there a few weeks ago for three days of fishing. As I always do when fishing up there, I fished long stretches on foot each day, and on at least two of the days that I recall, I saw guys floating the river in float tubes. Maybe it's me, but over the last ten years or so of visiting up there, I've seen a progressively wider variety of watercraft on that river. Where it seems like it used to be almost exclusively the traditional Au Sable river boats and occasional canoes, I started seeing pontoons some years back with more frequency than ever before. Now more recently I've seen float tubes too. Especially on the mainstream, it's such a slow flow and shallow water in most cases, I can see where that would be a practical means to get around. I think I'd still want a pontoon or something with oars to be better able to make a radical course adjustment if I was coming up on a sweeper or something, but I guess if you were keeping your eyes far enough downstream, you could navigate effectively even with a tube. Either way, I'd only use it for navigation between points that I'd fish while wading, but that's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrout View Post
    I've fished from float tubes over the last 40 years. They have evolved from inner tubes with canvas webbed seats to the inflatable mini-yachts we see on the market nowadays. If you want to go for versatility, stability and load capacity, check into the "Watermaster". http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/ I've used one for about 15 years now and I think they have more going for them than the other designs. They ain't cheap, though, starting at about $1500.
    Pat
    I second what Patrout said. I bought mine new for 900.00 (Kodiak), but I took the time (3 months) and browsed Craigslist to find it.

I do have to say, the Outlaw Assault does look pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    I second what Patrout said. I bought mine new for 900.00 (Kodiak), but I took the time (3 months) and browsed Craigslist to find it.

I do have to say, the Outlaw Assault does look pretty good.

Good point on Craigslist. I know of three gentlemen that have the WM and recently bought the Assaults so I am guess they are selling theirs. Again, the rocker thing, big difference.

+ Reply to Thread