Sport fishing column for June 11 to 18, 2012

Vividly? I remember watching him slide its gleaming split cane sections from their cotton bag, and the smile that kindled his square-built face as he fitted them together? Then dad took his old steel telescoping rod from the hall closet and placed it in my hands.

"Yours," he said. And so it remained until I aspired to a flyrod of my own?

One night as we churned our way? along a graveled Island Highway fifteen miles north of Courtenay, our headlights blinked out? Trudging ahead with a flashlight, I guided Dad into into a little roadside park? By the flashlight's weak beam, we pitched our tent.

The last sound in my ears as I dropped of to sleep was the murmur of running water. I didn't know it then, but my fortunes had brought me to the river which was to become one of my life's dearest loves. Passage taken from "My Father, My Friend," by author Arthur Mayse.

Incase you haven't heard, Sunday is Father's Day.

As a fly fishing instructor, sport fishing columnist, and fisherman, I don't think I need to tell you how I like to spend time with my wife and kids, and not just on Father's Day Weekend. Some of my fond memories of these times consist of: Watching my oldest daughter (at age four) dressing up her fish with her doll clothes. Hearing my youngest daughter (at age nine) say; "Dad, please, enough coaching, I'm trying to concentrate on the fish." And my Wife some years ago saying; "Will you chill out! You don't have to catch every fish in the lake!"

Well families; what memories are you going to make this weekend? Our BC Freshwater Fisheries Society is offering to help with license free fishing for the whole weekend. If that is not enough, there are forty seven special community fishing events happening throughout our province this coming weekend. Google BC's Family Fishing Weekend for more details.

The Report

Our lower mainland lake fishing is fair to good. For wet (sinking) fly trout fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Red Spratley, Coachman, Zulu, American Coachman, Professor, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Dragonfly Nymph, Sixpack, Doc Spratley, Pumpkinhead, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly trout fishing try: Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Royal Coachman, Renegade, Elk hair Caddis, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, or Lady McConnel. For kokanee try: Red Ibis, Double Trued, Blood Worm, San Juan Worm, Red Spratley, or Red Carey. For bass try: Zonker, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Lefty's Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Big Black, Wooly bugger, Hair Frog, Foam Frog, Poppers, or Crayfish. For panfish try: Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Bucktail, Dolly Whacker, Bloodworm, Chironomid, Poppers, Turks Tarantula, Tom Thumb or Irresistible.

Fishing on our interior lakes is very good. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Halfback, 52 Buick, Pumpkinhead, Big Black, Micro Leach, Coachman, Green Spratley, Carey Special, Souboo, or Baggy Shrimp. For Dry fly fishing on those warm afternoons, try: Lady McConnel, Black Gnat, Double Hackled Peacock, Griffith Gnat, Elk Haired Caddis, Irresistible, Sofa Pillow, or Tom Thumb.

The Greg Clark Memorial family fishing derby is on Saturday June 16. Tickets are available at Chilliwack Dart & Tackle, Kent Outdoors, Fred's Custom Tackle, Rosedale mini Mart, or Cultus Lake Golf Course.