+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Navy Rod

Hybrid View

Default Navy Rod

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted on this thread. I was going to build a Navy themed rod for my brother-in-law, but he had a stroke just before last Thanksgiving. Fast forward a few months and he's now made a nearly complete recovery and I feel would be able to cast a fly rod.

I asked for a ribbon recipe, which KB promptly sent me, but I can't find it now and was wondering if by chance, Kevin, if you would be able to send me the recipe for the Operation Desert Storm ribbon. I think it's the middle east service award/ribbon.

I think I'm going to build it on a black matrix blankif they make that color blank.

Thanks,

TT.

Blog Entries

They do make that blank in black and it will be sharp for this purpose.

This is the pattern. The ribbon can be seen at http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armym...ss/swasm_2.htm Don't let it throw you that it is listed as an Army ribbon. They are identical fo Army, Navy, etc.

The Southwest Asia Service Medal’s ribbon is 1 3/8 inches wide and has fifteen stripes. The first stripe is 1/16 inch of Black followed by 1/8 inch of Chamois, 1/16 inch of Old Glory Blue, 1/16 inch of White, 1/16 inch of Old Glory Red, 3/16 inch of Chamois, 3/32 inch of Myrtle Green and a center stripe of1/16 inch of Black. The next stripe is 3/32 inch of Myrtle Green followed by 3/16 inch of Chamois, 1/16 inch of Old Glory Red, 1/16 inch of White, 1/16 inch of Old Glory Blue, 1/8 inch of Chamois and 1/16 inch of Black.

You will find it best to wrap from both ends towards the middle. Mark out your ribbon at 1 3/8" long on the blank and get with it. Use CP to lock the wraps in place as you move along and pack well.

Good luck!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Thank you so much for sending me that again. It's going to be a challenge, but it'll be well worth it when it's done. I'll be sure to post some pictures.

TT.

I remember you talking about doing this for him awhile ago. I'm very sorry to hear he had a heart attack, but glad to hear he has made almost a complete recovery!

Steve

Steve,

It wasn't a heart attack, it was a stroke. I have to say that I'm pretty amazed at the recovery he has made. We were all pretty worried, he's got two teenage daughters to take care of. It seemed like it was pretty touch and go for a while, but he's really put a heck-of-an effort into recovering.

I can't wait to get him this rod.

TT

Blog Entries

I WILL require pictures. If I can give you any tips for wrapping that ribbon, holler!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread