+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old School 7' 1wt Glass rod

Default Old School 7' 1wt Glass rod

I recently picked up a few of the old style fiberglass 7' 1wt blanks which has the internal spigot ferruls mainly just to build and sell as completed rods since so many guys are always looking for glass rods as they have become hard to find now. Looking at the blank and feeling the old style VERY full flex action I thought it was just begging to be built up into an old school style rod that looked fresh from a hardware store counter back in the 1950's. So I decided to make it as nostalgic looking as I could.

Blank is a 7ft 1wt spigot ferrule rusty brown color very full flex glass blank. Reel seat is black all aluminum double lock nut down locking style. Grip is a thin tapered down in the front old style looking grip. Used a polished metal rounded winding check. Wraps are Gudebrod rust color #257 without CP so it has a nice translucent look to it. Trim is nylon black.

Even though I just built this rod in my spare time between waiting for epoxy to dry and wraps to cure on customer rods, I really couldn't be happier with the look of it. like the way this rod came out looking so nostalgic.

Steve

Do you still have any built rods looking for new homes? Please PM with price if you do! That is one fine stick.

Same here. How much is the adoption fee on one of those? Very nice.

Nice Steve! I just picked up a 1wt Scott F last week and if I only knew you had some. Ugh! Got anything in in 3/4wt 11'? Especially switch blanks?

wow! didn't know 1 wt fly lines are made. must be similar to casting straight mono.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish Dog View Post
    Nice Steve! I just picked up a 1wt Scott F last week and if I only knew you had some. Ugh! Got anything in in 3/4wt 11'? Especially switch blanks?
    two words:

Angler's Roost.

I just started building up their 12' 2/3wt 4pc. My god will that be fun...

Let me know how you end up liking that A.R blank when you get it done and fished, I've been thinking about picking one of those up myself for nymphing.

Steve

It's being constructed as a spey for shad and tailwater soft-hackle/swing type work but I'll let you know how it pans out. So far it seems like a 4wt single-hander.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Yes Sir. That sure is a beauty and gonna be fun to fish. I love the feel of glass. It just conforms to my casting style nicely.

+ Reply to Thread