Thread: What is Tenkara Fishing

Threaded View

With all due respect, I feel no obligation to honor the traditions of tenkara. When I bought and began to use a tenkara rod and line, I considered myself as having discovered a new and exciting way to fish. I had no sense that I had entered a holy order -- with rules to be followed and the ways of forebearers to be respected and emulated. At least not any more thanI already respect and emulate such fishermen as Lee Wulff, Craig Mathews, and Dave Whitlock.

And you know what? When I grab atenkara or tanago rod and head for the water, I'm just going fishing. If someone asks, I may use the word "tenkara" as shorthandto explain my odd fishing tackle, but that is only because that word makes the explanation easier.

I would call it pole-fishing if it didn't conjure up a picture of an unsplit bamboo pole, a bobber, and a can of worms. Come to think of it, maybe "pole fishing"is what I should say, even if I'm using one of my rods fromTenkara USA, Tenkara Bum, or Fountainhead and a sakasa kebari at the end of my tippet.

If this makes me a heretic, then so be it. I don't think it will interfere with my fishing pleasure.

~Paul
    Last edited by Paul Arnold; 06-14-2012 at 01:36 AM.