+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old question but maybe someone....

Hybrid View

Default Old question but maybe someone....

has worked out how to keep the first foot of the 444 cortland fake silk line from sinking. I like the line but it sinks way to fast.
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Of course you did try some good old timey Mucilin line dressing ...?

http://www.yagersflies.com/muflyandlidr.html

In my opinion, Cortland Sylk is the absolute worst for tip sink.

Yes, you can dress it but it won't be too long before it's sinking again.

Won't use it and dumped the two I foolishly bought.

On the other hand, the 444 Peach is, again in my opinion, one of the finest and most supple fly lines ever developed.
    Unsurpassed if you're a medium action type.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I don't have a problem with my 3wt DT Sylk at all. But I may have solved the problem unknowingly from the start. I prefer a loop....so I create my own loop and in the process of "getting it right" probably took about 8-10" off the tip. I really have not noticed anything out of the ordinary wiith mine after 3 seasons now.

Ralph

Interesting subject for me as I have one that came with a glass rod combo, but have not had a chance to fish it yet. I'm looking forward to the ideas that come up here.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    I don't have a problem with my 3wt DT Sylk at all. But I may have solved the problem unknowingly from the start. I prefer a loop....so I create my own loop and in the process of "getting it right" probably took about 8-10" off the tip. I really have not noticed anything out of the ordinary wiith mine after 3 seasons now.

Ralph
    All fly lines have a level "tip" section before the beginning of the front taper.

For Cortland lines this front tip is 6" long. By cutting off 8-10", you removed the tip and went slightly into the taper. Since the thickness of the core and coating of the fly line is fixed, by making the new tip loop out of the thicker section of fly line it has more hollow beads to float the tip. By doubling the line into a loop, you improved the floatation of the section of line you attach to the leader.

It's a good solution to a sinking tip although the line will land just a bit harder on the water.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Silver, makes sense. Wasn't sure of the exact length of the tip.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    On the other hand, the 444 Peach is, again in my opinion, one of the finest and most supple fly lines ever developed.
    Unsurpassed if you're a medium action type.
    +1. Great line and can be found on the cheapsies.

I cut back the tip and added a folded loop on an older Rio line and I think I will get several more years out of it. Most of my trout fishing is 2 or 3 day trips w/ 10 to 12 hrs a day on the water. It was getting hard to keep the tip floating.if the tip does not float it is hard to mend. Now I am good to go again

Just dressing the tip works- as does permanently attaching a leader butt. A little zap-a-gap on the knot is all it takes...I LOVE the SYLK line and in fact we were part of the reason Cortland made it. The cost of a 'real' silk line is way out of the budget of most of us, even those who are fortunate enough to have gotten a bamboo rod. We all haven't bought them new from the makers either...

+ Reply to Thread