+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to go around Savannah?

Hybrid View

Default Where to go around Savannah?

I finally have the chance to fish the big salt, but I got no idea where to go or anything. Anybody on here from the Savannah area that can point me in the right direction?(I dont mean East. lol)
    Never brag about you equipment or skill. One is obvious and the other will be.

http://s3.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=89095

If you're interested in being guided, I recommend Scott Wagner,
    www.savannahfly.com

He's one of the best fly fishing guides I know for redfish.

Regards,

Bill
    I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

Thanks caibill, I might do that if I can afford it.

This might be of a little help. Remember you are very close to Hilton Head Island, SC, just looking at the Savannah area on Google Earth Tybee Island appears to be your best bet in the immediate area or head to St. Simon, Jekyll Islands or Hilton Head.
    http://www.georgiawildlife.com/sites...egulations.pdf
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Quade,

I am sure you are looking for places to fish, but, eating is a necessary thing as well.

I can highly recommend Elizabeths on 37th as one of the best places to eat in the great and beautiful city of Savannah. Fantastic food.

http://www.elizabethon37th.net/

Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks for the advertisement sagefisher, i might check it out, but at this time fishing is a little more important than eating. Actually, if I catch something, I can eat that. LOL

This is completely a copy from a local bulletin board,

Choices for fishing from shore on an InterCoastal Waterway in the area are not great, because of private property restrictions and marshes preventing access,however there are a few options. IMO, the best being Fort Pulaski (requires a $5/car) entry fee, but it's beautiful and there are areas that you can get on the Savannah River without being confined to a pier or bridge. A map of the park is available at the check in center and these area's are defined fairly well. After 5pm, you can also fish off the bridge there and the trout bite has been decent in the last couple weeks. Another spot is on the 'backriver' area on tybee island. Take Butler ave all the way to the end, stay right and park at either inlet ave or fishermans walk. Can't say you'll have much luck in the trout department there, but it's a great place to post up with the family and do some fishing and drinking. Without a boat, I would say you might have the best bet of getting into some trout from either the Thunderbolt or lazeretto piers, both of which are off 80 towards Tybee. Coming from Savannah, make your first left before the wilmington river to get to the Thunderbolt pier and for Lazeretto make your first right after fort pulaski.

Amelia Island is 50 miles or so south of Savannah but I thought it might be informative and useful.

You can fish directly in the surf if the swells are not too bad. Mornings are good this time of year since the wind is usually slack at that time of day but builds as the day goes along.

Ladyfish, small pompano, small drum, seatrout and small redfish run up and down the beach feeding at times. Also bluefish follow migrating mullet (may be too late for that) and baitfish so if you see a school toss a streamer near the school and you might get a hit.
    Spanish will occasionally be mixed in with the ladyfish or bluefish or may be solo but sometimes get close enough to shore to cast at.

Once and a while you will see a tarpon chasing pogies just pass the surf but often are too far out for a fly rod cast. Sharks and kings occasionally cruise the shoreline but are usually too big or too far out.

Watch out for stingrays if you are wading in the surf.

Freshwater fishing can be had in the lagoons of Amelia Island Plantation but you have to be a guest of the resort to fish those.

The Amelia Angler has local info. They have a shop in old downtown Fernandina and a website w/ fishing and contact info.

Locations: The north end where the jetties meet the sand. The corner can hold some schools of trout at times and there are also some sheepshead to be caught near the rocks. Don't climb out on the rocks unless you want scrapes and cuts. Slippery as heck and dangerous when the tide comes back in.

Fort Clinch Sate Park - walk the beach and toss at structure - small jetties and groins of rock along the river channel.

The pipeline - about 1/2 mile south of old main public beach area. Outlet pipe from the paper mills provides structure and holds fish. Public parking along A1A. T

The pier - wade out and fish at the structure but watch out for big surf as there can be some nasty rip currents along there.

South tip of island - can fish beach near bridge piers or walk out to edge of sound where beach meets deep water. A small creek flows out of the marsh near there and sometimes fish hold at the opening when tide is flowing.

North tip of Little talbot Island - cross bridge going south and explore the trails on the east side of the road. Lead to the beach along Nassau Sound and also near creek mouths. Can be tricky as there is mud and wood and oyster shells along there.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 06-22-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Add more info
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread