+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Little Lehigh

Hybrid View

Default The Little Lehigh

HFS Side.jpg

Got a chance to fish the Heritage Waters of the Little Lehigh this morning. Nice to get out. Got on the water around 7am and no hatch acitivity to be seen. Water was "sllightly" off-color. Started out under the overpass, downstream of the Heritage bridge and worked my way up. I was able to pound up 2 small browns on #16 EHC's. Nice to catch a couple on the top.

Left the water at the bridge and walked upstream to the park area and landed a fat 16" rainbow on a Golden Retreiver. Then on the way back to the car I spotted a palomino in a lie just upstream of the flyshop. One cast with the GR and Wham! A 14" palomino to end the day with.

Stopped in to visit the shop and picked up new hat. All-N-All a pretty nice morning.

Ralph
    Attached Images Attached Images

maybe I'm wrong for asking the question but is the shop under new management?

I think the previous management passed away...any better info on that please?

Lehigh River,Delaware River{upper,middle}Salmon River NY,Niagara River NY,Cattaraugurus Creek NY

Lady Fisher,Fritz,
    The former management didn't pass away..just moved to Colorado.New shop owner is Dave Bitner..a real nice guy.THe hatches are best in the evenings , usually midges ...because the stream area the fellow mentioned in his post has widened considerably over the decades,believe it or not at one time this stretch had water cress and other Spring Creek vegetation an was narrower an deeper.Also the water temps stayed lower, it still stays very cool but is not what it once was...the Trico Hatch is by far its best hatch,besides the daily midges,the riffles and runs also have a bit of caddis activity.Black Caddis are always present .There is also a decent amount of cranefly activity that the trout do take craneflies as well .The sulpher hatch is a pittance to what it once was.There is HEx hatches in certain ssections of the creek..not in the heritage section.also during winter midge ,snowflies, baetis are good.early spring BWO are also.
    A trip to the shop with Dave is also pleasant too.
    Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
    Rick Wallace

lonewolve,

Thanks for the folowup. I had only previously read or heard about the Heritage waters specifically. Although I had fished around it before and driven past it countless times over the years, this was my first trip. So most of the history aside from the water itself is not something I would know about.

A nice place to fish though, as it treated me nice at least.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    ,,,A nice place to fish though, as it treated me nice at least.

Ralph
    And ..... it looks like you had pretty nice weather for your outing, Ralph. I was stuck with mid 40's temps with overcast skies, low hanging clouds, some mist, and a bit of breeze on and off.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread