+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Little Lehigh

Another review from a bit ago that came from FAOL as well. I found this through the web.....here's the link.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...otg/43eotg.php

Ralph

Pretty water; reminds me that I need to get up to Falling Springs again sometime soon. Thanks for the TR.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    Nice report! I am fascinated with the old stone cottage in the photos. Would be interesting to know the history of the place.

aa
    The pictured stone building is actually a spring house. A spring emerges from inside the building, and flows out to the creek. Back in the day, there were no refrigerators, and this building was part of a farm that used it for food storage (milk, etc). It now serves as the home of the Heritage Fly Shop (formerly the Little Lehigh Fly Shop) - I have no connection to this business, other than being old friends with the owner (Dave Bittner).

It really is a neat little building, and stays pretty cool inside in even the hottest weather. The fly shop was added inside without altering the basic structure. After the passing of Al Miller (designer of the "Al's Rat" fly pattern) in 2008, the building was dedicated to Al by a plaque mounted on an outside wall, next to the door.

Great location for a fly shop, except the stream often floods during high water events. The current owner Dave has experienced many of these floods over the years, as he was friends with the previous owner (Rod Rohrbach). Dave had the good foresight to build pegboard walls that pivot up, to be hooked at ceiling height. What used to take hours to "flood proof" merchandise, now takes seconds to accomplish.

Hurricane Ivan in 2004 almost ruined the fly shop business for good. I spent many days helping Rod and Dave salvage what remained, and Rod rebuilt the business, which remained successful until health reasons forced Rod to give it up. During that flood, the water level was up to the top of the front window. Two days after he lost most of his business to the flood, the rooming house that Rod lived in exploded and caught fire from a natural gas leak. He escaped with his dog, car keys, and wallet with five dollars in it. Most people would've just given up on the dream of owning a fly shop, but not Rod. With the help of friends, and even other local fly shops, he was able to rebuild. Say what you want about Rod, but he was one tough old bird, and a good friend. He's now a trout bum, wandering around Colorado - and having the time of his life.
    Last edited by Heritage Angler; 06-20-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Much enjoyed this post!
    The Little Lehigh is on my Bucket List of streams.

p.s. Excuse my ignorance but what is a Palomino?
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Bobby - A golden rainbow trout is sometimes called a palomino. Do a google search for "golden rainbow trout", and you'll get lots of pictures. The fish currently stocked by the PA Fish Commission that have this coloration are golden rainbows.

Due to their coloration, they're very visible, and often heavily targeted by anglers. Kids love 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage Angler View Post
    Bobby - A golden rainbow trout is sometimes called a palomino. Do a google search for "golden rainbow trout", and you'll get lots of pictures. The fish currently stocked by the PA Fish Commission that have this coloration are golden rainbows.

Due to their coloration, they're very visible, and often heavily targeted by anglers. Kids love 'em!
    Thank you!

Strange looking fish. I imagine a lot of the larger ones end up stuffed like poor ole Trigger!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Yes.....accurately referred to as a Golden Rainbow. I reckon I dated my self with the "Palomino" reference.

+ Reply to Thread