+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Review of 10'2" Soyokaze and 9'4" Iwana

Hybrid View

Default Review of 10'2" Soyokaze and 9'4" Iwana

Tom Davis, who writes the Teton Tenkara blog, just did a nice write up of a fishing trip in which he used both the 9'4" Iwana and the 10'2" Soyokaze. You can read his review here: http://tetontenkara.blogspot.com/201...or-tanago.html
    Tenkara Bum

It is so nice to get an objective review of other rods besides what Tenkara USA puts out. I always say that the proof is on the water, whether it is the Fly pattern, line, Rod, or any other tool. Thanks Chris !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MR.JML View Post
    It is so nice to get an objective review of other rods besides what Tenkara USA puts out. I always say that the proof is on the water, whether it is the Fly pattern, line, Rod, or any other tool. Thanks Chris !!!!!!!
    MR.JML

I agree, the proof is on the water. Tenkara USA recently made a blog post to define what is and what is not a tenkara rod, it makes valid points regarding telescopic rods in general. It mentions that the absence of a handle is one of the defining characteristics. In some cases the similarities out weigh the differences. If the only difference between the two rods mentioned in Toms blog post is a cork handle, and the fact that he likes the Soyokaze better as a small stream rod, then I say put a cork handle on it. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, than it's probably a duck.

JD
    Last edited by jd_smith; 06-11-2012 at 03:47 AM. Reason: sp

I agree with Tom Davis in his blog post when he says that his Daiwa 10'2" Soyokaze gentle breeze rod has become his Go-To rod for small streams. Gentle Breeze is my Go-To rod as well. Until later, this summer and fall, my prey are sunfish and bass rather than trout, but these days I only go to a larger rod when I want to throw a heavier or more bulky bug than Gentle Breeze can handle. Which is seldom these days, more seldom all the time.

Tenkara USA recently made a blog post to define what is and what is not a tenkara rod, it makes valid points regarding telescopic rods in general. It mentions that the absence of a handle is one of the defining characteristics.
    Achieving historical accuracy in their fishing tackle (like a soldier's gear in a Civil War re-enactment), is apparently significant to some tenkara anglers. I am not one of them.

And putting a cork handle on my 10'2" Soyokaze Gentle Breeze would be one of those Charleton Heston scenes; you would need to pry it out of my hands.

~Paul

I might be wrong but I don't think they had cork handles on bamboo tenkara rods before the introduction of telescopic carbon fiber or fibre glass tenkara rods... Would those bamboo tenkara rods not be considered tenkara rods? Just saying.

You might notice from my sarkasm that I am a bit tired of what is and what is not tenkara (rods, technique etc.). I love "this style of fly fishing" whatever you call it or whether its historically accurate or not. That is all that counts for me.

And I just ordered the 27SR in addition to the 30SR I already own. Might as well.

I too purchased a Soyokaze 27SR as my introduction to tenkara and with the knowledge that I could slip it in my grand daughters hand to teach her in the ways of fly fishing.

This rod is amazing. Feather light and contrary to what has been posted about the size of fish you can take with it I have been catching bows of 15 and 16 inches with no problem. As I wrote Chris after my first experience with this rod I put it this way. "This rod has balls" Now I am a bit of a rule breaker and went out with this rod knowing it is not rated for fish this size so I prayed to the trout gods that I would not break it. I had no difficulty landing these fish from the Swift River in MA. Set up was Tenkarabums hi vis orange 3 line and some 5x tippet. It is a lovely rod and is very comfortable in the hand. If one were looking for a rod for tight quarters and lots of brush around this would be one I would consider.

Now he posted another rod on his forum and it is calling my name. My wife is gonna kill me.

Thank you Chris. . .

You know, JC, that's the real reason that tenkara rods are telescopic. You can slide one up your shirtsleeve and your wife will never even know it's there.
    Tenkara Bum

Well JC, you are not the only one he did that too. I had just ordered my Kiyose on the 8th and he posted the Sagiri on the 13th. Almost makes me think I should have waited before ordering but, it will just have to be another rod on the wish list.

I have the 27SR and love the way it casts and fishes. I have owned one TUSA rod and have spent some time casting their 11' and 12' Iwana (the Ito as well, but that would be an apples/oranges comparison due to its size). I have also been fortunate to cast a few other Diawa rods, some with cork handles and some without. I want to be cautious about painting with too broad a brush, but IMO as someone new to tenkara but with some years experience as a "western" fly fisher, the Daiwa rods (and my Shimano LLS36) have a kind of precision that I noticed the TUSA rods lacked (I would use the word "crispness" but for us western fly fishers that often implies "fast" - the Daiwa and Shimano rods can be bendy but still "precise.") I have only cast or fished four TUSA rods, and I have never cast a Nissin or Sakura rod, but the Japanese-designed rods I have limited experience with did seem to have this quality. It would be informative to hear from others who haven't posted yet and who have more experience with a wider range of rods.

+ Reply to Thread