+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half Caff

Default Half Caff

Half Caff

This is a fly built off of the classic Stimulator pattern. It's similar in profile but slimmed down for skinny water. Minus the tail, abdomen dubbing and thorax dubbing, and a sparse wing. It's a stimulator, but with "half the caffeine".

Hook: Standard Stimulator (stonefly) #12-16
    Thread: 6/0 Rust Brown
    Abdomen: Half-size silver badger over thread base
    Wing: Light Elk
    Hackle: Brown Hackle over thread base
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 06-08-2012 at 01:10 AM.

i Like the skinny profile. Like a combo of the Clark's Stone and the Stimulator...will definately have to make these, esp in smaller sizes. Sure looks like a good skater, for chasing those motorboat caddis
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Maodiver,

It does work well in the smaller sizes. The pattern originated from a #16 Olive/dun version tied to skitter on some of the late summer tailouts.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 06-08-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Looking at the closeup, the tread almost looks like vinyl micro sized nymph ribbing...which gives me a good idea...hollow midge nymph tubing tied in without squeezing the air out...more floatation?

I will tie these soon. Maybe even today. Thanks for the addditional pics.

Ahhhh!....not a bad idea! Post a pic when you're done. I would love to see the results.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    ...which gives me a good idea...hollow midge nymph tubing tied in without squeezing the air out...more floatation?...
    Seems to me it's a physics question - something like will the weight of the inflated tubing including the material used to tie it in be less than the weight of the water displaced by the inflated tubing and tie in material.

Easy enough to check out - just tie off the ends of a section of tubing and drop it in a glass of water.

I was thinking about something along these lines a while back, wondering what kind of thin walled, durable tubing might be available, but since I didn't have any need for flies that float better than the ones I have been using, I haven't pursued it. One of the issues I was concerned about was collapsing the tubing while tying or fishing the fly - which adds weight and no floatation.

I will be very interested in your results, Mike.

John
    The fish are always right.

Tried it today with Hareline Micro tubing

Size 20 was too bulky, even with the micro tubing...I don't think there is tubing lighter. I have bigger stuff, but it woulda been way too bulky. The bigger stuff did float when I melted the tube ends shut. Tying a knot seemed to unrealistic for a float test.

size 16 looked OK, but i think the thread body is still finer.

Was a PITA to keep the tubing from unraveling without stretching it onto the hook. Fnding just the right tension was hard. Too tight, and I flattened the air out, thus ruining the purpose of the experiment...too loose and it was hard to get the wraps to lay down.

Will post pics tomorrow if you would like.

AlanB Guest

Could you wind a fine slither of closed cell foam in place of the micro tubing? I know it wouldn't be translucent, but it would provide the buoyancy.

Would the buoyancy be in the right place with either material? Is the fly intended to stand up on its hackles or sit down in the film? If you want it to stand up on its hackles anything added to the hook shank would surely just increase the weight the hackles have to support. For it to aid floatation, if this is how you want it to float, it would have to be buoyant in air.

Somewhere I have some TMC 200r's in size 20, I will have to dig them out and tie some of these.

Cheers,
    A.

AlanB Guest

Default Thinking Aloud

Just had a thought about this fly, and committed it to a hook.

The rear body is pearl mylar, without any thread under it. The hackle is tied in at the eye end of the hook, and wound towards the bend, then the corded pearl mylar is wound through it to hold the hackle in place. Haven't found my small hooks yet so did this on a size 10 before I lost my inspiration.

Cheers,
    A.

Alan...nice looking pattern. The added flash just may pan-out. Looks like minds are working.

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread