+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Bamboo

NewTyer 1 Guest

Default New Bamboo

I may have mentioned in my last post that I received a new Bamboo rod last weekend from Project Healing Waters. It is an 8' 5wt. I found out some interesting stuff today and have also contacted the maker. The makers name is Fred Powell, he lived in upstate NY but has moved here to Virginia. I brought the rod to a buddy of mine who builds bamboo rods to get his opinion on the rod which he absolutely loved when he noticed the #1 inscribed on the rod. I think I have a #1 first made bamboo rod by Fred. I have contacted him through PM at fiberglass rods forum and also found his website and I told him that I was given this rod and under the circumstances it was given to me. I also asked for any shop notes pertaining to it and also the taper used and also to see if he may have another tip for it. It only came with one. So, I am pretty excited about owning his first bamboo build. As far as I know, he has only built a few bamboo but is more into the glass rods.

NT,
    Congrats on your first Bamboo. I am also new to Bamboo and have a couple new bamboo rods this spring. I have been very busy with an early Saltwater trip and then the graduation of my daughter and have not found time to fish the rods yet. I have cast them a bunch in the yard and look forward to fishing for the first time with bamboo up at my cabin later this month.
    -Jeff

Be careful gentlemen, fishing bamboo can be as addictive as fly fishing itself. There, I've done my duty to warn you....good luck and enjoy!

NewTyer 1 Guest

This is technically my second but, the first one I built and never fished it and ended up selling it. This one is the first one I am keeping and fishing with. It was made by Fred Paddock who lived in NY but has recently moved to Virginia. He is a maker of some of the most sort after glass rods. His attention to detail, the hardware he uses make he what he is today. He only made five Bamboo rods and I have #1 which makes this one special. I actually managed to track him down on another forum and spoke with him. I also had a guy drop off a few glass rods and a bamboo rod for me to try and find out what they might be worth but, the bamboo is in such bad shape, at this point if he can get $10 he's lucky. I am going to try to get it from him and I have a friend who refurbishes bamboo rods and is willing to bring the rod to life for me for nothing including all new hardware. That is my next project. I have a reel coming for my rod and a silk line along with my furled leaders, it should be a fine casting rod. I hope you enjoy your rod and let me know how you liked it.

Scott

Blog Entries

One of my favorite rods is the little banty bamboo scrounge rod I put together from pieces parts laying around the shop. It is just plain fun as well as looking like a million bucks. Haven't caught anything on it yet but I will.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I am loving the sweet little 4wt Payne 100 that Mike Shay of Arizona (now California) built for me a year or so ago.
    I have a previously loved Sage RPL 490-4 that is sitting and looking very lonely in the corner.
    I have been bitten and now and have the Cane disease........the prognosis is good for my mental health........bad for my wallet.
    DuFf

Last edited by Duffin Boy; 06-12-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: photo

NewTyer 1 Guest

I'm glad you are enjoying your rod. Mine will be hitting the water in a day or two.

+ Reply to Thread