+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much of a tip?

Default How much of a tip?

I know this question has come up from time to time but since I've never used a guide I haven't paid any attention to the answers.
    Now, I am planning to book a one day guide while in Colorado. I've already got the fees and dates. One friend has suggeted 15% of the fee, another 20% and a fellow from my FF club says he always tips $100. I said a hundred bucks is a good days wages but 20% of $345. is $69. and that's a good days wage too. Any suggestions, comments or other input will be appreciated. I'm not a cheapskate, well maybe a little, but I'm not rich either. Thanks, Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I usually tip 15 to 20%. For most trout trips that's about $70 to $80 on a guide rate ranging from $350 to $500 a day. That's a rule of thumb for me. I usually tip a bit more for a drift boat trip or if the guide extends the day beyond the standard hours , or runs up and down a lot between two anglers on a wade trip, or otherwise works extra hard during the day. Most guides that I know would think a $100 tip on a $400 trip is an exceptionally good tip.

If two guides charge different rates for what would be essentially the same trip I would tend to tip them the same as I don't feel one should get a bigger tip just because they charge more or a smaller tip because they charge less.

I have never not tipped a guide but I have observed a couple that I would not have tipped.

I have some friends who tip 10% to 15% and I know a succesful and generous businessman who tips around 50% sometimes. Just tip what you are comfortable with.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 06-07-2012 at 01:58 PM.

I usually plan on 20% when I start the trip. If I think the guide does a good job (i.e., works hard regardless of whether we catch fish), he gets the whole 20%. If he does less than a good job, I may cut it down to 15% and will probably never use him again.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Tip at least 20%, by the way, $69 is not a good days wage by any means, it's below poverty level and below minimum wage too.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hi Jim,

Exceeds our expectations professionally and personally ( I'm not easily impressed ) : No upwards limit and we'll probably try to lock up another booking before parting.

Good day, good company, knowledgeable: 20% to 30%, will likely consider them on our next trip to the area.

About average, didn't exceed our expectations or overly impress us with their knowledge or boat handling: 10 - 15%. Wouldn't ask for them specifically for a follow up trip, but won't refuse to go with them again.

Professionalism, skills or attitude cast a negative shadow on our day: Not one dime. This is an uncommon occurrence, but there are a few out there.

We don't tip based solely on the fishing. Our tipping is based on professionalism, knowledge, character and our enjoyment of the day.

Dave

I have tipped between 75 and $100 -- and this is for 2 people in a drift boat -- and the second person is usually my wife who is not an accomplished fisherman. The guide has to help her much more than he does me. These guided trips can be $450 for a day so I think this tip is quite generous. Generally speaking, I just need a guide to get me to a reasonable place to fish and don't need much help after that so I think his day is pretty easy. On the other hand, if you are not very accomplished, the guide is certainly going to have to work harder. It also makes a difference if they are supplying flies, food, etc.

Like anything, it depends on how you are treated and what you get for your money. Once on the Big Horn, the outfitter arranged a drift for us and we paid the Outfitter hansomely for the trip. The guide didn't get all that money. The outfitter provided a lunch that consisted of a balogne sandwich, a gingerale soft drink and bag of chip -- handed to us in a beautiful Wal-Mart plastic bag. The guide was clearly embarassed and recommended we go to a store and pick up some other things to eat and drink for the day. He worked his butt off and we had a great day due to his efforts and his efforts alone. I tipped him $100 and felt like it probably should have been more.

Bottom line, do what you feel is right.

There was a waiter working in a restaurant in Miami back in the 60's I believe. One night, after one of his performances, Jackie Gleason came in with his entourage. Probably 10-12 people. In those days a tip of 10% was acceptable, and meals weren't near as expensive as today. After the meal was finished, Mr. Gleason asked of the waiter, "That was very good service. What is the largest tip you ever received?" The waiter humbly responded, "I was given $500 one night." Not wanting to be outdone by someone's tip, Mr. Gleason gave the waiter a $1000 tip and asked him, "Who gave you the $500?" And the waiter said, "You did Sir."
    So, I guess what I'm saying is give what you think is appropriate within your budget, then put the thought behind you.
    Last edited by Lotech; 06-07-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Ray,
    I think he ment the trip cost plus the $69. a good days living.

I tipped $100 for my last trip. My Dad was on the boat with me, and the guide did a really great job helping him. He rowed productive runs 4+ times, and what was supposed to be a 8am-5pm guide trip turned into a 7am-5pm guide trip.

Hope this helps. I agree with the above poster. $69 does not make a good day's wage. $100 doesn't equal all that much as well.

Factors I consider. Did he provide flies, lunch (most guides provide lunch out of their own pocket), leader, tippet, etc. Did he have his own extra rods just in case you had a problem. Even if I don't use his rod, I factor that in, as a guide who does this can save a bad day if you end up with a major problem with your own equipment or forget your reels...
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Two posters seemed to indicate the tip is all the guide gets. His fee is his wage, the tip is gravy for doing a good job.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread