I have tipped between 75 and $100 -- and this is for 2 people in a drift boat -- and the second person is usually my wife who is not an accomplished fisherman. The guide has to help her much more than he does me. These guided trips can be $450 for a day so I think this tip is quite generous. Generally speaking, I just need a guide to get me to a reasonable place to fish and don't need much help after that so I think his day is pretty easy. On the other hand, if you are not very accomplished, the guide is certainly going to have to work harder. It also makes a difference if they are supplying flies, food, etc.

Like anything, it depends on how you are treated and what you get for your money. Once on the Big Horn, the outfitter arranged a drift for us and we paid the Outfitter hansomely for the trip. The guide didn't get all that money. The outfitter provided a lunch that consisted of a balogne sandwich, a gingerale soft drink and bag of chip -- handed to us in a beautiful Wal-Mart plastic bag. The guide was clearly embarassed and recommended we go to a store and pick up some other things to eat and drink for the day. He worked his butt off and we had a great day due to his efforts and his efforts alone. I tipped him $100 and felt like it probably should have been more.

Bottom line, do what you feel is right.