+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing at night

Hybrid View

Default Fly Fishing at night

Hey ladies and gentlemen, I need help.

What pointers do you have for fly fishing at night? As most of you know, I'm after sunfish, bass, and cats. Recommendations on coloration, etc? Topwater or wet?

Help!
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

For bass fishing at night, I always use black flies, either large streamers (my preference) or top water. I tie the streamer with icelandic sheep hair and usually include a stinger hook since the flies are often 7-8 inches long. Long slow strips and hang on, you'll get some bone jaring strikes.

Jim Smith

NewTyer 1 Guest

I think it might be a little early for top water night fishing but in the dead of summer when the big bass are hiding out during the day and come out at night to feed, I find a mouse pattern, snake pattern or large popper like a frog in dark colors to show up against the night sky to be the best.

I like a little furled mohair leech.... slow stripped.... fish by feel and hold on!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

This may not be what you are asking for:

1. Know the water and the depth
    2. Remember that snakes will also be out
    3. Try to get to the water before it gets dark and memorize the territory so you do not step in over your head
    4. If you go when there is a clear sky and a full moon, you will be able to see better and will be surprised just how good your night vision is.
    5. Avoid turning on any lights because the light will destroy your night vision & spook the fish. If you must use a light, try to use something with a red colored lens cover
    6. As stated above, dark colors for the flies and large enough to move water when stripped
    7. Keep your ears tuned for fish feeding on the surface and cast towards the sound

Not knowing if you will be fishing lakes, ponds or streams, some of the above may or may not apply.

ABOVE ALL ELSE, BE VERY CAREFUL!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

If you are going to be wading, a wading staff is a great help in staying dry. It will let you probe in front of you as well as aid your balance when you walk into that invisible submerged rock. Shorten your leader and check it often for tangles. BRING DRY CLOTHES!!
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Here in Louisiana and the rest of the deep South, you'll also have to add:

#8 The alligators are are out and active, and they are protected by law...

#9 The alligator snapping turtles are out and active.

#2 (Modified) Water moccasins are traveling around at night... And please understand Uncle Jesse is correct, in that moccasins like to eat the fish on your stringer. In addition, they are always looking for a something sticking out of the water to rest upon. Moccasins also like to rest upon low-hanging branchs and have been known to drop into your boat. When that happens be sure to use a wooden paddle to dispatch them, as a gunfire may kill the snake, but it is hell on your watercraft!
    Last edited by bowfin47; 06-08-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Great advice re night fishing.

striper33

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    For bass fishing at night, I always use black flies, either large streamers (my preference) or top water. I tie the streamer with icelandic sheep hair and usually include a stinger hook since the flies are often 7-8 inches long. Long slow strips and hang on, you'll get some bone jaring strikes.

Jim Smith
    I agree with Jim 100% and we actually tie a very simular fly and one time I actually had the rod get pulled out of my hand....granted I was about to fall asleep.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

Almost forgot, I do not think I ever had a sunfish hit at night unless I was fishing dock lights.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

+ Reply to Thread