+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fly Fishing at night

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    For bass fishing at night, I always use black flies, either large streamers (my preference) or top water. I tie the streamer with icelandic sheep hair and usually include a stinger hook since the flies are often 7-8 inches long. Long slow strips and hang on, you'll get some bone jaring strikes.

Jim Smith
    I agree with Jim 100% and we actually tie a very simular fly and one time I actually had the rod get pulled out of my hand....granted I was about to fall asleep.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

Almost forgot, I do not think I ever had a sunfish hit at night unless I was fishing dock lights.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

I saw a quote on the local bulletin board that would be good to remember for us Southern boys and girls who might fish at night "There are two kinds of snakes; chicken snakes and cobras. If it doesn't have a chicken in its mouth, it's a cobra."
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    I have done well on certain waters with dark flies at night. On others, yellow or chartreuse can still work good. Why? I don't know.
    What seems most important that the pattern should push some water or create a good hydrosonic disturbance so the fish know its there and can find it.
    Subsurface patterns that work really well for me at night include Boa Yarn Leech, Gartside Sparrow, and Woolly Buggers. I recently tied this up for night-fishing bluegills/crappies. The head serves to push lots of water, and also to help keep the fly suspended so it can be worked slowly in shallow water without it dragging on the bottom.
    Dave, that fly is SICK!!!!! I love it! Grizzly marabou, yarn, and deer hair?
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Yes. I tried that fly out yesterday evening. It caught a few crappies and a couple bluegills.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I may have to copy that one and give it a go.... I know a place or two where something like that would do very well!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread