+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing at night

Default Fly Fishing at night

Hey ladies and gentlemen, I need help.

What pointers do you have for fly fishing at night? As most of you know, I'm after sunfish, bass, and cats. Recommendations on coloration, etc? Topwater or wet?

Help!
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

For bass fishing at night, I always use black flies, either large streamers (my preference) or top water. I tie the streamer with icelandic sheep hair and usually include a stinger hook since the flies are often 7-8 inches long. Long slow strips and hang on, you'll get some bone jaring strikes.

Jim Smith

NewTyer 1 Guest

I think it might be a little early for top water night fishing but in the dead of summer when the big bass are hiding out during the day and come out at night to feed, I find a mouse pattern, snake pattern or large popper like a frog in dark colors to show up against the night sky to be the best.

I like a little furled mohair leech.... slow stripped.... fish by feel and hold on!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

This may not be what you are asking for:

1. Know the water and the depth
    2. Remember that snakes will also be out
    3. Try to get to the water before it gets dark and memorize the territory so you do not step in over your head
    4. If you go when there is a clear sky and a full moon, you will be able to see better and will be surprised just how good your night vision is.
    5. Avoid turning on any lights because the light will destroy your night vision & spook the fish. If you must use a light, try to use something with a red colored lens cover
    6. As stated above, dark colors for the flies and large enough to move water when stripped
    7. Keep your ears tuned for fish feeding on the surface and cast towards the sound

Not knowing if you will be fishing lakes, ponds or streams, some of the above may or may not apply.

ABOVE ALL ELSE, BE VERY CAREFUL!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

If you are going to be wading, a wading staff is a great help in staying dry. It will let you probe in front of you as well as aid your balance when you walk into that invisible submerged rock. Shorten your leader and check it often for tangles. BRING DRY CLOTHES!!
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Good suggestions for bass already. For bluegills and crappies, unweighted patterns like woolly buggers, woolly worms, boa yarn leeches, and larger nymphs work great in the public ponds I fish at night. There seems to be pond-specific color preferences. On some ponds black or brown work best at night...on others yellow and chartreuse work best. The unweighted patterns stay up above the shoreline weeds better, and fish seem to be shallow and often "feeding up" at night.

I generally do medium-slow paced SHORT strips on the retrieve. Watch where your fly line enters the water if you can see it.

Usually cats are caught accidentally while fishing for the bluegills and crappies. They will also sometimes go for a bass popper. You never know with catfish...I have caught them inches from shore at night, and also near the surface out in the middle of the pond. You might do well fishing deeper with a weighted pattern on cats...be prepared to clean a lot of gunk off your hook every cast.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave, we have caught a few cats on poppers right at dark and after, too!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

Take at least one good, reliable flashlight. LED penlights are often good enough. You may not need it, but if you need it you might want it in a hurry.

Ed

If you are down south, you may discover cottonmouths are drawn to light, don't leave it on too long and don't leave your fish on a stringer in the water, unless you like snakes.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread