The wife and I love exploring new towns and sampling their ethnic cooking. We usually research our trip a week before. Typically the trips don't require too much driving. This trip ended up being exactly 5 hours from Richland Center. Our target was New Ulm, Minnesota.

We picked this town because of the strong German influences in the area. The town has gotten some positive acclaim for it's good German cooking. Barb and I decided to test the food ourselves and report back.

Before we hit the restaurants we went on a tour of the town to look at the sites. We hit a couple churches and local landmarks. The Glockenspiel entertained us for a short time at 3pm. We went to Schell Brewery and had a tour. Excellent brewery and tour.

Barb and I ate lunch and supper. The German food was divine. Lunch was jaeger schnitzel and holstein schnitzel. The portions were healthy and I left stuffed.

Supper was to another restaurant. Barb was not very daring and had the Wurst Platter and I had the Hasenpfeffer. I tried to get Barb to try the rabbit with no luck. Both plates were huge and we couldn't finish either. Double thumbs up on these meals.

Lots of friendly folks and very easy to find. It is directly off of Highway 14.

Barb and I will be gallivanting ever so often to some interesting places and sampling their local cuisine and reporting back.