+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Howdy...

Prairieschooner,

My grandfather and his family lived in Palco in the '30s, and mom told me that grandpa built a large glass fireplace in the house where they lived. Grandpa ran the lumberyard that was in Palco at the time. The fireplace was made by layering window glass pieces from what was left over at the lumber yard from cut glass for windows. I have wondered if it is still there. I believe that the house is still there.

Also a good friend from college was from Palco. We went to Fort Hays in the 70s.

When did you graduate from high school?

Regards,

Gandolf

Prarieschooner,
    You are certainly in for a treat here. GRAND people abound!
    Spent several years at Ft Riley, Ks. while in the army. Great bird hunting, great warmwater fishing, and some moccasin pestering too.
    Carp ARE a grand hoot, once you aquire the necessary diciplines.....of which we are still working on.
    Welcome.....
    .....lee s.

Gandolf,

Graduated in '65; Fort Hays State grad in 1970. Mack Welling Lumber was still there when I was a kid. Neat story about the fireplace; hadn't heard that one! Now you've got me curious as well!

Here's an interseting Palco link: www.fhsu.edu/library/ksheritage/Palco - maybe your grandpa is in one of the pictures!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Prairieschooner View Post
    I'm in south-central Kansas and make it to trout country once in a while, but bass and bluegills are mostly what bends my rods. Lately I've been on a carp crusade but have yet to land one .
    I've heard of people catching carp with strawberries or cherry tomatoes. Hmmmm ... is there a fly out there that resembles either of those.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

NewTyer 1 Guest

Welcome aboard from a massachusetts transplant here in Virginia.

Hi Prarieschooner,

I started at FHS in 1969. Chemistry major, lived in Wiest Hall.

The pictures of the lumber yard is really interesting. I would love to look around Palco sometime. My mom described where the house was, but she is gone, and so are all of the other relatives that might have known. I believe the house is still there. I think it wasn't a long way from the tracks.

I have close relatives that live in the area, so will be up that way from time to time.

Some time we will have to get on the telephone and visit.

Regards,

Gandolf

Gandolf,

I lived in Wiest my freshman year; fall of '65. Art major! If you don't mind, who is your friend from Palco (PM me if you'd rather)? If you find out anything about the house let me know; my folks are both gone and I'm not in touch with anyone from Palco anymore.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

If I never see Wiest again, I am ok with it! Spent my freshman year there as well....
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Welcome Prairieschooner,
    Don't let EdD distort your view of Betty and the rest of her posse in the JO county. We are just fishing for a good time on the water. If you ever find your way up to the JO give us a heads up, we have about few people that can get you into some nice panfish.
    Welcome again,
    LDice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    Welcome aboard! Keep an eye on Betty........ (that's all I will say, for fear of being turned into a toad otherwise)
    Kid, you know another nickname for Prairie Schooner was Toad Crusher, don't you. I'm just sayin'...

Ed

+ Reply to Thread