+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie gets a couple first today!

Default Newbie gets a couple first today!

Last week, a friend loaned me a 5wt fly rod. I've been practicing, and immersing myself into the addiction of waving the Fairy Wand.

I've been struggling. Wind knots, bad/sloppy technique, etc. I need practice, encouragement, and mostly, a tutor.

I was able to escape out of the house this afternoon, supposedly to go get some food for dinner. I ended up stopping at the pond in the park here in Sapulpa. Winds were light, the surface was fairly smooth, and I had a new sunfish-sized popper to try out.

I basically gave up on "distance". I just wanted to make as many "smooth" casts as I could. I also realized that since the weedline was, on average, about 10' from the shoreline, I should probably work at a diagonal, instead of throwing straight out to the weeds. This would A) Allow me to try to keep the bug somewhat parallel to the weeds, allowing for more time in the strike zone, and B) Allow me to strip the bug past the little weed points and pockets. I also realized that I need to think like one of those "Green Fish Chasers", and basically work my way down the bank, as if I was in a boat with the trolling motor down.

So, I start working in this pattern. After a few minutes, I began to get better as making "smooth" casts and presentations. I won't claim to have perfected my technique, but it is getting better. I immediately start noticing that the little 'gills were following the bug and taking swipes at it. I also realized that I did better if I just let the bug sit, instead of stripping it in a few inches at a time.

Well, after about 10 - 15 minutes, I got a successful hookup:

All right! First 'gill on a fly!

I continued my pattern, slowly working my way down the shore, making casts into the weed pockets, and stripping the bug past the weed points.

Somehow, I wasn't surprised when there was a big splash, the bug dissappears, and the fly line starts running to the left and into the weeds. Startled for a split-second, yes, but surprised, no. Luckily, I had control of the line, and immediately lifted the rod up to set the hook. About 30 seconds later, this came to my hand:

Not bad!

I continued down the bank, until I realized what was supposed to be about 20 minutes had turned into 45, and I had better head off to the store to get food for dinner.

I will definitely have to return, and practice some more!

Hi Allen,

Good job! Great to see you catch a first gill and a first bass on the fly rod.

Regards,

Gandolf

NewTyer 1 Guest

Nice job. Nothing like learning on the water. That's how I learned. I haven't thrown a line in many years but, it's funny how it all comes back quickly which was proven yesterday when I was making perfect cast w pinpoint accuracy and banging the browns and rainbows. I'm hooked. The guide I had said he would fish with me any day, which was a great feeling. Keep up the good work, keep catching the fish and it won't feel so much like practicing. It's one thing to learn how to cast but, more importantly, learning how to play the fish and get it to shore.

If you had stayed another 45 minutes you would have had food for dinner! Nice job! Keep at it with the fly rod and you will have a ball!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Very cool! Congrats! Kinda fun, isnt it?

Like you mentioned, don't worry about distance. Ponds like that, a 20' cast is about all that may be necessary. Besides, the longer your fly is in the air, the less time it's in front of a fish! Just pick the fly up and lay it back down. Don't worry about hauls, double hauls, and pretty loops. Just put the fly where it needs to be!

Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Keep at it! You're on the right track

+ Reply to Thread