+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How light are custum rods?

Balance is essential. Unfortunately so many rods these days are uplocking which shifts your balance point into the rod blank instead of within the cork area. That's whyI prefer downlocking reel seats and have a number of reels that gives me options

For me its all about balance. I once built a 9' 9wt glass rod and over did the guides (3 strippers, one extra guide and all over sized). The rod was beautiful but was the worst rod I ever cast. I couldn't understand it until a "Old Timer" came over and showed me the outfit was "Top Heavy". He then proceeded to show me how I could add weights to the center of my Pflueger reel to balance the outfit.

He showed me how I should be able to balance the outfit on my index finger and be able to turn my hand and have the rod positioned ready to cast. The fulcrum was pretty much on the handle at my index finger when holding the rod. He stated that the larger bamboo rods, especially the cheaper ones were top heavy and had to be balanced this way back in the day (By adding weight to the reel). At one time he had been President & CEO of the Montague Rod Company so I listened. I added the weights and sure enough the rod cast fine, but BOY WAS IT HEAVY!!!!

So I completely stripped the rod down and re-built it with fewer and lighter guides, with them positioned so the rod and reel balanced as specified by my friend. Sure enough after the rebuild that rod was one of my favorites. It cast like a dream.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

A light rod is a joy, a balanced rod is essential. If you watch baitcasters, most hold their rods by the reel because that's where the balanace point on the rig is located. The has resulted in the shape of the reels changing to a better ergonomic design. I have never observed myself or any other fisherman but I think lots ,if not most of us, move our hand back or forward as the balance point changes slightly with the amount of line we have out when fishing. 30 yards of 5 wt. line only weighs 0.32 ozs. plus whatever we tie onto the end of the leader, you don't have to be Hercules to handle that.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

To the original question, a custom rod can be light if the builder strives for it. I've seen Orvis blanks built up to be lighter than their factory counter parts by using thin coatings, and cork reel seats with light weight bands.
    I'd venture that most custom builds are heavier than their factory counter parts - using a slightly bigger handle, building a rod with "burl", "exotic" or other composite corks, adding feather inlays, using nickle silver rather than aluminum, and doing long signature wraps will all bump up the weight. I'm not saying that these techniques and components make a bad rod, not in the slightest, but they're things you want to stay away from if you're primary focus is grams.
    The key is to discuss with your builder what you want. If you ask them to keep it light they should very well be able to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ColdPass View Post
    To the original question, a custom rod can be light if the builder strives for it. I've seen Orvis blanks built up to be lighter than their factory counter parts by using thin coatings, and cork reel seats with light weight bands.
    I'd venture that most custom builds are heavier than their factory counter parts - using a slightly bigger handle, building a rod with "burl", "exotic" or other composite corks, adding feather inlays, using nickle silver rather than aluminum, and doing long signature wraps will all bump up the weight. I'm not saying that these techniques and components make a bad rod, not in the slightest, but they're things you want to stay away from if you're primary focus is grams.
    The key is to discuss with your builder what you want. If you ask them to keep it light they should very well be able to.
    This is all very true. I would venture to say that almost all of my customs are heavier than the factory counterpart. I can shave a bit by using single foot guides, minimalist guide wraps, graphite reel seat, and other weight saving components but most folks don't like how these look.

If minimal weight is what you want, you will have to say so. Many custom builders have their "hook" that gets you to pay attention to their rod and hopefully ache to own one. For me, it is the military ribbon wraps and my grips. I know I have a buyer hooked when he/she gently takes a rod in hand and fondles the grip or when a Vet's eyes get a bit moist seeing his decorations on his rod. An emotional relationship has just been forged with the rod that a few grams can't break.

Discussions on weight produce interesting discussion but it is still my opinion that when looked at in a logical manner a person should be more concerned with balance as the weight differences even between an IM6 blank and a Sage One blank are minuscule. The first can be made to feel divine in hand with proper balance and that Sage One can feel like a club if not balanced well.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread