+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Day of fishing in 11 years

NewTyer 1 Guest

Default First Day of fishing in 11 years

That's right 11 years. I went to my first Project Healing Waters event today. It's called the Mossy Creek Invitational and this was their fifth year doing this event. Arrived a little early(I was up all night) I felt like a child the night before Christmas. At 8:30 a.m. we started. There were 12 wounded warriors including yours truly. Two soldiers on a team with a monitor and a guide that bounced between two teams. We got to our beat and I was the first to wet a line. Only one person could fish at a time. I had my trusty 6'6" 3wt and cast a dry fly. On my first presentation I hooked what looked to be well over 22" BAM snapped my tippet so, I put on a 8lb tippet and cast again, there went the fly and landed the first fish of the morning. 19-1/2". First fish had to be scored but on the second fish you can either measure it or put him back and hope to catch a larger fish. My second Rainbow was 14-1/2 so I threw him back and caught another fish, this time 22-1/2". My teammate fished and caught two right at 20" or so. This was the end of the morning session.

We had barbarque chicken and all the fixings. After lunch was off to a new spot and I caught another 20" Brown and another 20-1/2" Rainbow and my partner caught two fish in the 20" range. Fished the afternoon out and went back to have dinner, we had filet minour and potatoes. They raffled off alot of stuff of which I won a New 3wt 5'9" rod, sock and tube, a nice water color painting of a person fly fishing on what looks to be Mossy Creek and a Orvis sweater for the wife. PHW also gave the 12 warriors a Orvis sling pack in digi camo with clippers and hemostats, indicators and a box of hand tied flies specifically for Mossey Creek. After it was all over, one of the PHW guys asked me to go to his vehicle which he proceeded to give me a 8' 5wt Bamboo Rod. Man what an awesome day. Best day I've had in 11years and tommorrow we will be skeet shooting for the day. Did I say what an awesome day I had?

Glad you had a great day. You earned it. The hard way!

Thank you for all that you have done for us and your country. Great trip report; hope it's not another 11 years until you get to go fishing again.

Regards,
    Scott

Well Done!

That's a wonderful time. Hope you have many, many more.

Charlie

Wow-that sounds stunning and thank you from an ex-veteran myself(1963-1971) USAF and vietnam vet to boot! It,s just a shame they don,t do anything like that here in england as it sounds Incredibly awesome, but hey I can,t see you going another 11 years!

NewTyer 1 Guest

They do have a program in England. It is a sister club of Project Healing Waters. I can't remember what it is called but, it has the same functions as PHW for your Vets. The founders of your program flew in from England just to attend the PHW Event yesterday. Do a little research and see what you come up with. In the meantime, I will contact someone here from PHW and see if they can tell me what the organization is for you. Get involved, you won't regret it.

As soon as they post the pictures from yesterday, I will post them here so, you all will enjoy it.

flytier, I should be thanking you and all other vets before me because it was you who fought before me which gave me the freedom to fight today. Are you not involved with PHW?

Thanks to you all, Veterans of the past.

Oh, I will take a picture of the bamboo rod I was given. I am so happy and proud of that rod.

Blog Entries

Congratulatons on geting on the water, Your post made my morning

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

11 years is too long to go without fishing! It is hard for me to imagine, and I am humbled by those like yourself who may not be physically able, or who were previously not able prior to the help and encouragement by folks like those who volunteer like PHW. It is good to hear you had such a memorable day, and I'm sure the other warriors did too! Our local veterans group at work is looking into the PHW program to see how/where we may get involved with a local event. Being a vet myself, with the good fortune of having my health, I need to find out more about the Project, and see how I may contribute. Thanks for sharing the success story!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

It may have been 11 years, but you came back with a vengeance!! Good for you, and great report!!!
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread