+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another newbie!

Hybrid View

Default Please let me introduce myself

Brand new to this forum. Believe it or not I found your forum by accident, but not new to fly fishing/tying forums or fly fishing/tying. Have recently run into an idiot on a forum I will Not name-thought he was my friend but he ended up being just the opposite and now loves to spread malicious garbage about anything I post, but I,ll hope no one here is like that and say I,m living here in northwest england a bit of a displaced american (even though I,ve lived in "blighty" more than 40 years-you can take the boy out of the country, etc etc...but as fly fishing is quite different here than in north america it,s been quite an education and as c&r becomes more practised the fish get more educated which makes it a challenge, but then wouldn,t want it any other way. As I learned fishing from both my late parents in 1950 in eastern South Dakota and then taught fly fishing in 1955 by my late mentor and best friend Louis Davis-RIP 1960 to stomach cancer at far too young an age. Had to make do with everything But trout then as no trout outside the Black Hills back in the 1950s. Got my first go at trout in 1968 while on leave from the Air Force on a tiny stream called Mill Creek just outside Colville, Washington. Though the water was crystal clear and rather small you had to stalk them and it taught me a lot about wild trout. Those rainbows, brownies and brookies were rarely more than 12 to 14 inches long, but boy did they fight hard and tasted delicious! Now retired as of 2009 from cctv operator work and 40 plus years industrial security work before that now when I,m not looking for someone to take me out fishing I,m tying flies for the chances when I do go out. Hope I haven,t bored you too much and that we get to know each other better. My name is Byron Thiel

Quote Originally Posted by flytier07 View Post
    Brand new to this forum. Believe it or not I found your forum by accident, but not new to fly fishing/tying forums or fly fishing/tying. Have recently run into an idiot on a forum I will Not name-thought he was my friend but he ended up being just the opposite and now loves to spread malicious garbage about anything I post, but I,ll hope no one here is like that and say I,m living here in northwest england a bit of a displaced american (even though I,ve lived in "blighty" more than 40 years-you can take the boy out of the country, etc etc...but as fly fishing is quite different here than in north america it,s been quite an education and as c&r becomes more practised the fish get more educated which makes it a challenge, but then wouldn,t want it any other way. As I learned fishing from both my late parents in 1950 in eastern South Dakota and then taught fly fishing in 1955 by my late mentor and best friend Louis Davis-RIP 1960 to stomach cancer at far too young an age. Had to make do with everything But trout then as no trout outside the Black Hills back in the 1950s. Got my first go at trout in 1968 while on leave from the Air Force on a tiny stream called Mill Creek just outside Colville, Washington. Though the water was crystal clear and rather small you had to stalk them and it taught me a lot about wild trout. Those rainbows, brownies and brookies were rarely more than 12 to 14 inches long, but boy did they fight hard and tasted delicious! Now retired as of 2009 from cctv operator work and 40 plus years industrial security work before that now when I,m not looking for someone to take me out fishing I,m tying flies for the chances when I do go out. Hope I haven,t bored you too much and that we get to know each other better. My name is Byron Thiel
    Welcome from Washington State. I've been to Mill Creek. I didn't fish it, but I did see mountain lion tracks near the water. There are grizzlies and lots of elk in that part of the state.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Welcome gentlemen! This is the most civilized forum on the web in my opinion...you will like it here.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Benzguy & flytier07,

Welcome from Tennessee! I will look forward to posts from both of you. This is a very "sharing" site and we do appreciate new members and look forward to learning from them.

When time permits, explore all areas on this site. There is a ton of info here and it is all good and do ask questions when they come up.

WELCOME
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Welcome aboard, Byron. Glad to have you and Benzguy join us.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Hi There-fishing got interrupted one evening back in August, 1968 when my cousin Billie Ackley and myself suddenly had a grizzly that must have smelled our fish-we left them for him and made a quick exit-closest I,ve ever been to or want to be to a full grown grizzly, Thank You! I was born on the coast(Anacortes) but my parents and brother moved to Colville in 1966 and then on to Grand Coulee in 1993 where my brother still lives and I have an aunt who lives in nearby Creston-was over for a visit in 2010 at this time of year and fished Banks Lake where I caught my first two kokanees and biggest ever smallmouth bass of over four pounds.

Welcome gentlemen! This a great, sharing site where information humbly flows! May you Enjoy your time here, and know that any wisdom you share on this site is much appreciated.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Blog Entries

Greetings from Iowa! Looking forward to getting to know you two!

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

+ Reply to Thread