+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best

Default Best

Did not mean to hi jack one of the other threads so started a new one.

Frank,

Okay, get your red pencil out. There is one item of fly tying where I will say (this is going to show some WWE history and high-lite one of its performers, lol), "It's the best there is, best there ever was, and best there ever will be". Now, this might start a war but I've got a lot of irrefuteable ammo and allies so if it's a war someone wants - let's hear what they have to say.
    Overton's Wonder Wax - Best there is, best there ever was, and best there ever will be. Nothing else has to be said!

Allan

I agree 100%.

Good luck, Tony

There's a recipe on the web (it might even be an faol article, but I ..... don't think so) about how to make a Wonderwax substitute. I bought all the stuff. Haven't gotten around to trying it yet. If I remember correctly you heat olive oil, bees wax and bow rosin together. No hog warts or black snake eyeball powder required.

Interestingly..........there is s Montana company selling something that LOOKS LIKE Wonderwax in small tubes, for use as a lip balm. I tried tying flies with it. Fish would notice the fly, swim up to inspect it and then swim away in a panic--because (I'm guessing) of the strong peppermint smell.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 05-31-2012 at 11:20 AM.

No argument here...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Allan:

You get no argument from me about your opinion of WONDER WAX! I ENDORSE IT!!!

If you would like to read what I consider to be a very hilarious story about tying wax, you should read the passages in Harry Darbee's book "CATSKILL FLYTIER" about the time he and Elsie, and the Dette's made a fresh batch for their flytying operation and put it out on the back porch of the boarding house the two young couples lived in for the night, and that was owned by a sweet little old widow lady.

Cheers!
    Frank

NewTyer 1 Guest

I'm a Dapper Dan man myself. Damn I'm in a tight spot!

People must really like it. Someone (I think it was on this board) recently auctioned off a tube and it brought $30. I've got a tube myself that is practically unused. I'm going to hang on to it to help pay for my grandkids college tuition.

Dave

Orvis dubbing wax.
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 06-01-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewTyer 1 View Post
    I'm a Dapper Dan man myself. Damn I'm in a tight spot!
    Now if you want Dapper Dan, I can order it for you, have it in a couple of weeks.

Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!

GREAT FILM!!!
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

What do the fish have to say about it compared to the other waxes? Betcha won't catch more fish using it over any other brand. Myself, I like BT's dubbing wax. The fish seem to like the flies I tie with it and that all that matters.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread