downsized_0527120817.jpgdownsized_0527120821.jpgdownsized_0527121001.jpg

Went to Harsens Isl off the Middle Channel Sunday with my son. We started out in Little Muskamoot Bay which I have to admit was late in the year for me but a fly fisher buddy said he got into pike and smallies a couple days before. We got out there and anchored 100' off shore and began the search. Using a green size 4 bead head wooly bugger I made contact with the first smallie. Next cast I got the second smallie. Not too much longer my fly line tangeled up in the outboard pulling up a huge gob of gear lube. If you never have gotten gear lube on ur fly line DONT! smelly, thick and will not wipe off. Did my best by taking off my new sweater my wife bought me and got it off my hands and line the best i could but it still effected my casting. My son wanted to perch fish so we packed it in and headed for the bait shop where i could wash my hands and fly line. After i took care of that issue we hooked up with some minnows and started hitting the side of the channel. NOTHING! ..found a nice flat with weed beds and began poking around the outside edges with minnows while I casted the bugger. several casts later I hooked into a couple of nice perch. With an approaching front the wind kicked up and blew us around losing my spot and shutting down the fish. tried a couple more spots, picked up a couple small perch and called it.